Crosland Hill Methodist Wesleyan Chapel, Crosland Moor

This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • also known as: Crosland Hill Methodist Church (current name)
  • location: corner of Crosland Hill Road & Hob Lane, Crosland Moor
  • status: still exists
  • category: church or chapel
  • notes: enlarged in 1907


The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

Meetings of Methodists in Crosland Hill started at the home of William and Rebecca Shaw in 1821. This group became allied to the Blackmoorfoot Road United Methodist Church and in March 1878 the Crosland Hill Mission requested the Trustees of the main church to provide them with better accommodation. Action was quickly taken and the corner stone of the new chapel was laid by John Carter on 7th September 1878, and the building was completed by February 1879. Seating one hundred this small chapel cost £300. In 1883 the Trustees of the main church offered to transfer the building to a Trust Committee of Crosland Hill members, one condition being that the church remained within the United Methodist circuit. Talk of transfer dragged on through to 1885, at which point there is a gap in the surviving records. However, in 1888 the group and the building came under the Wesleyan Methodist Church, that body paying £400 for the premises. The chapel was enlarged in 1907/8 at a cost of £1,500, when new transepts. Minister's vestry, school hall and three classrooms were added. In 1929 a new organ was installed and it was ‘opened’ by Miss North of Dryclough House. In 1932 the primary school was extended at a cost of £750 and in 1958 a new school was built, costing £17,000. Finally, in 1965 a headquarters building for the flourishing boy scout and girl guide movement was built in the Chapel grounds. This church is (in 1977) still open.

See Also...


    Loading... ::::::geograph 4296821:::geograph 4037176:::geograph 4037181:::