Croppers Arms, Marsh
- location: Westbourne Road, Marsh, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
Believed to have been originally opened as a beerhouse by cloth dresser Joshua Brook, the Croppers Arms at Marsh was in existence by the early 1850s and was one of many local premises used for the celebrations of the majority of Sir John William Ramsden in September 1852. Brook, who had been a parochial constable for the Hamlet of Marsh since at least 1850, died on 16 March 1853 after being assaulted by John Whittaker.
Joshua Brook of Marsh is named as a "retailer of beer" in the 1837 trade directory, so it's possible that the Croppers Arms was first opened in the mid-1830s.
By the time of the 1861 Census, stone mason Abraham Earnshaw — the son-in-law of Joshua Brook — was recorded as the beerhouse keeper. After his death in December 1870, the licence passed to his widow Hannah (née Brook). After her death in 1883, the licence was transferred to her son, Benjamin, until his death in 1894, and then to his widow Hannah (née Hall) until 1899.
Benjamin Earnshaw successfully upgraded the beerhouse licence to a full licence at the Brewster Sessions of 1887.
At an auction held in November 1894, the premises and adjoining house were sold for £2,410.
All that Desirable Fully-licensed Public-house, known as the "CROPPERS' ARMS," situate and being No. 134, Westbourne-road, Marsh, in the Borough of Huddersfield, containing arched ale cellar and two wine cellars in the basement, well arranged filling bar, bar parlour, tap room, commercial room, kitchen and passage on ground floor, two large front bedrooms, lodge room, landing and stairs.
Together with the three-stalled stable, hay loft, coal places, outbuildings and spacious yard, now in the occupation of Mrs. Benjamin Earnshaw.
Also the DWELLING-HOUSE, No. 136 adjoining, containing two bedrooms, living room, scullery, keeping cellar and coal place, together with the front garden and boundary wall at present unoccupied.
The site of the premises (including the cottage and coal place, belonging to Mrs. Emily Taylor) contains an area of 526 square yards, and is held under lease from Sir John William Ramsden, Baronet, for a term of 99 years, from September 29th, 1859, at an annual ground rent of £3 5s. 9d.
The premises are substantially built of tooled-face wall stone, with grey-slated roofs, and are in an excellent state of repair.
The premises and adjoining house were sold again at auction on 7 February 1899 for £4,670.
All that Fully-licensed PUBLIC-HOUSE known as "CROPPERS' ARMS," situate in Westbourne-road, Marsh aforesaid, containing:—
On the Ground Floor — Entrance, kitchen, filling bar, bar parlour, taproom, and front room.
First Floor — Two good bedrooms to the front and large lodgeroom with wood partition to the back.
Basement — Two good ale cellars and a wine cellar.
Together with the brick-built three-stall STABLE with hay loft over, lean-to-carriage house, necessary out-buildings, and large yard, now in the occupation of Mrs. Benjamin Earnshaw.
The above house has recently been fitted up with electric light.
Also Stone-built DWELLING-HOUSE adjoining above, being 136 Westbourne-road, Marsh, aforesaid, in the occupation of Mr. Joe Brown.
Notes and References
- Cloth dressers cut the surface of the finished cloth and were also known as "croppers".
- "District News: Golcar" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/May/1852) contains a reference to a beerhouse named the Croppers Arms. Whilst it does not give the location of the beerhouse, it is likely the one in Marsh.
- Huddersfield Chronicle (18/Sep/1852).
- "Local Property Market" in Huddersfield Chronicle (10/Nov/1894).
- Yorkshire Evening Post (08/Feb/1899).