Craigmhor, Greenhead Road, Gledholt

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Wentworth School (1962 map)
  • appears on maps: 1890 [#213]
  • location on map: Greenhead Road, Gledholt
  • status: still exists
  • category: private house

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 10 June 1983
  • listing entry number 1065918
GREENFIELD ROAD 1. 5113 No 30 (formerly Wentworth School) 2. Large detached house. 1882 or 1883 for George Kirk, iron founder, with 1913 addition. Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs with heavy moulded eaves, cornice on console brackets. 2 storeys. Entrance front has 6-panel door with etched glass and semi-circular fanlight. Carved surround, spandrels and keystone, and initials G K. Large consoles support balustrade over with urn to left and right. To right is 2-storey canted bay. Beyond this is 1913 addition comprising double arched porte-cochere with 8-light mullioned and transomed oriel bow window to first floor, with good carved ashlar work to base. The 3-bay garden front has 2-storey canted bay to left, as before, and French window and sash to right, both pedimented. Two sashes to first floor with architrave surround and small cornice on console brackets. Stone terrace and stone balustrade to entrance and garden fronts. Interior is virtually original and intact. Vestibule has mosaic floor. Entrance hall has tiled marble floor and elaborate plaster cornice and embossed frieze, fireplace with tiled surround, wooden staircase with turned balusters and panelled dado. The former dining room has embossed frieze and ornate plaster cornice and centre piece, with gas-light fittings, fitted bookshelves and show case and ornate carved wooden fire surround with large mirror. Carved screen in bay window. Panelled dado may be contemporary with 1913 work. Carved screen on landing with 2 oval and 4 round lights with painted glass, forms entrance to 1913 billiard hall, with oak panelling, stone arched fireplace and ornate plaster ceiling with centre light. Washroom has pump action WCs and twin marble basin. In servants quarters are fitted cupboards, copper lined and stone sinks and 12 bell rings. Listed as good and complete example of its type.

Location

Craigmhor, Greenhead Road, Gledholt

Categories

Buildings | Listed buildings and monuments | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed