The Cottage Homes are a row of five properties situated on Lightenfield Lane, Netherton, which were built as almshouses.
The cottages were erected by Alfred Sykes J.P. of Thongsbridge as a memorial to his parents on a plot of land behind the Hough Memorial School. The architects were Joseph Berry and Sons of Huddersfield.
The cornerstone was laid by Sykes' grandson, Alfred Guy Crowther, on Saturday 6 August 1910 and the properties were formally opened in May 1911 by Sykes' son, Alfred Hermon Sykes of Edgerton.
The cottages, which were built "for the use of the aged inhabitants" of Netherton, were partly endowed by Sykes and were managed by a group of trustees.
The plaque above the front of the cottages reads:
The plaque on the gable end of the cottages reads:
The properties are currently supported by the registered charity Netherton Cottage Homes, whose objective is the "provision of five cottage homes for the use and occupation by poor and necessitous persons living in the Ecclesiastical Parish of South Crosland in the County of York."
The historical records of the cottages from 1910 to 1987 are held by the West Yorkshire Archives Service.