- also known as: Copthirst (1854 map)
- location: Cartworth
- category: area with a small cluster of properties (which no longer exist)
Holmfirth: Place-Names and Settlement (1994) by George Redmonds:
An interesting place-name for it means "a wood where the trees were pollarded", and tells us therefore that some form of woodland management was practised here from a very early date. The first references to Copthurst, in 1307 and 1435, occur when new land was being brought into cultivation and the surviving woodland was being cleared. The first evidence of a new settlement is in the early 1500s when John Hyncheclyff was a tenant. He was followed by the Charlesworths and Kayes in the period up to c.1700.