This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1890 [#203], 1892 [#12]
- location on map: corner of Clara Street & Eleanor Street, Hillhouse
- status: no longer exists
- category: church or chapel
- notes: with "seats for 500", also known as the Hillhouse United Reform Church
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1210517
CLARA STREET (East Side) Hillhouse. Hillhouse United Reformed Church. Mid C19. Hammer-dressed stone. Steep pitched slate roof. Coped gables. Hall church with one small and one large transept on north side, and tower with octagonal lantern at west end of north aisle. Arched doors (planked with Gothic iron hinges) to nave, separated by colonnette with foliate capita. Similar single doors to each aisle. Large 5-light west window with attractive and ambitious Geometrical tracery. Aisle and small transept windows 2-light large transept window, 3-light all with transoms and similar tracery. Buttresses, those at west end with crocketed gablets, and on south side with crocketed finials as well. Quatrefoil oculus in west gable. Tower has single light windows at base, then quatrefoil oculi, then open octagonal lantern with impressive Early English 2-light openings with moulded voussoirs: octagonal spire with lucernes and bands of geometrical moulding.