Commercial Inn, Folly Hall, Lockwood

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: 104 Folly Hall, Lockwood
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

Originally opened as the Commercial beerhouse at Folly Hall, the licence was transferred in 1899 to a new premises nearby during the Brewster Sessions of 1899.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::kia k024146:::kia k024147:::kia km03765:::

Extracts

The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

One of the harder pubs to trace, with data sometimes listed as Huddersfield and sometimes as Lockwood. Originally a beerhouse owned by Joseph Kaye, it appears to have opened in 1853 with George Lawton as licensee. The original building was THE Folly Hall, built on the river bank. Joseph Kayes mill and other property passed to Joseph Lumb & Sons in 1893 and they demolished the original building in 1906 to make way for a new office block, the present premises being erected on the main road in the same year. The house was leased to Bentley & Shaw around 1910 but the premises have recently become a Free House again.

Discovering Old Huddersfield: Part One (1993) by Gordon and Enid Minter:

Folly Hall, the area at the end of Colne Road and the bottom of Chapel Hill, owes its name to the enterprise of one Marmaduke Hebden, a man of property in Huddersfield in the eighteenth century. Duke Hebden was the only Huddersfield man to invest in the new Huddersfield to Woodhead turnpike of 1768. Confident that the new road would extend development southwards from the town centre, Hebden commissioned Blind Jack Metcalf to build a row of four tenements near to the bridge over the river. Most people, however, considered it unwise to build so far from the centre of things and soon, probably even before it was finished, Hebden's building was being referred to as "Folly Hall". The building, which became the Commercial Inn, stood for one hundred and fifteen years before it was demolished in 1890.

Location

The former location of the Commercial Inn at 104 Folly Hall is shown below.