Commercial Hotel, New Street, Huddersfield
- also known as: Commercial Inn / The Jug & Bottle
- appears on maps: 1890 [#195]
- location: corner of High Street & New Street, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
At the corner of New Street and High Street the Commercial public house, sometimes called an inn, sometimes an hotel, has occupied this site since the early nineteenth century and for well over a hundred years the building incorporated a tobacconist's shop. This had a cross corner entrance and shop windows in New Street and High Street. Of course, during the 1970s and 80s tobacco fell from grace and tobacconist's shops became an increasingly rare sight countrywide. When Hobson and Son, the last proprietors here closed, the opportunity was taken to extend the ground floor of the Commercial. So skilful was the rebuilding that, today, the only clue to the one-time presence of the shop is a row of holes where the fascia board was suspended.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1287239
NEW STREET (West Side). Nos 62 (Commercial Hotel) and 64. Early C19. Hammer-dressed stone. Hipped stone slate roof. Three storeys. Stone brackets to gutter. Three ranges of sashes in plain raised surrounds. Door in moulded wooden surround. No 64 has attractive early C20 shopfront; fascia with cornice which is ramped upwards towards corner. Two storey extension in High Street. Same materials. One range of tripartite stone mullioned casements. One range of sashes. One range of bipartite stone mullioned casements.