Collections Relative to Churches and Chapels in the Diocese of York and Ripon (1842) by George Lawton

The following extracts are from Collections Relative to Churches and Chapels in the Diocese of York and Ripon (1842). The churches and chapels are listed in the order given in the book.


ALMONDBURY. — (Vicarage in charge.) — ALL SAINTS. Area, 30,140 acres. — Agbrigg and Morley wapentake, U.D. — Population, 30,606†; Churchroom, 950‡; Net value, £232.

Viz. Almondbury, 7,086; Austonley, 1,420; South Crossland, 2,258; Farnley Tyas, 849; Holme, 630; Honley, 4,523; Lingarths, 758; Linthwaite, 2,852; Lockwood, 3,134; Marsden, 1,698; Meltham, 2,746; Nether Thong, 1,004; Upper Thong, 1,648. The population has in creased 6,627 since 1821. The Chapelry of Marsden is partly in Huddersfield parish, and entered accordingly. The families of occupiers of land at Holme and Marsden (being partly employed in manufacture or trade) are entered in the second class of occupations. This parish has increased in population 6,627 persons, chiefly attributed to the extension of manufactures. Upwards of 300 men are employed in quarries and on the public roads.
Exclusive of the Chapels. 360 additional sittings (of which 100 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £50.

Formerly a Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Barons Lacy, who are supposed to have founded the Church, and from them of the Dukes of Lancaster.

In Pope Nicholas's Taxation the Church is stated to be appropriated to Nostell Priory.

The Rectory was appropriated to the College of Jesus at Rotherham, by Henry VII. as Duke of Lancaster, and a Vicarage ordained therein 13th March, A.D. 1485, and a new ordination was made 15th June 1488.

At the Dissolution, the Rectory reverted to the Crown, and was given to Clithero grammar school, 1st and 2nd Philip and Mary, the governors of which school are the present patrons and impropriators.

In Pope Nicholas's Taxation the Church was valued at £40 per annum, and the Vicarage was valued in the King's books at £20 7s. 10d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 294, at £40 per annum. A pension of 48s. 8rf. to the Vicar of Dewsbury. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.

39th Geo. III. Act for inclosing North Crossland; 9th Geo. IV. Act for inclosing Holme.

Mich. Term, 7 Chas. II. decree in the Exchequer relative to tithes, but which is unreported.

3rd November 1756, licence granted to erect a gallery.

5th May 1797, ditto.

7th November 1828, faculty to erect galleries, and make other alterations.

Glebe house fit for residence.

The lord of the manor of Marsden exercises the right of proving wills in the manorial court in certain cases.

Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars, which is continued by Dr. Whitaker.

The Register books commence in 1653. A few loose leaves prior to that year.

Charities.

Broadhead's charity at Upper Thong. 4a. 2r. 14p. of land, given in 1730, by Daniel Broadhead, for the use of the poor not receiving parochial relief. Two cottages have also been built, the rents of which are added to the charity. The rent is laid out in the purchase of blankets and linen cloth.
Wormall's charity. Founded under the will of Israel Wormall, dated 11th Au gust 1724, for payment of £5 per annum to a school-master, residue of rent for apprenticing poor children. The estate consists of 53a. 29p. of land, and 10 cottages. In 1824, an information was filed in Chancery by certain parishioners against the trustees for an account, and the suit was pending when the Report was made.
Nettleton's charity. Founded by Robert Nettleton, by deed, dated 11th Jas. I. for repairing bridges and highways, portioning poor maids, preferring scholars, and relieving the poor of the town ship of Almondbury. The estate consists of 31a. 2r. 4p. of land, 10 cottages, and an annual rent-charge of £8.
Jane Tetnay's charity, by will, 1765. Interest of £100.
Rent-charges. £6. 10s. applied towards the poor's rate, which the Commissioners disapproved of.
Grammar School. Founded by King James I. in the sixth year of his reign. The governors must reside within two miles of the parish. The master must be a single man and a graduate. Statutes to be made with the consent of the Archbishop of York, who shall also appoint the master, should the governors neglect to do so within two months after a vacancy. The school is open to all poor boys of the parish, for gratuitous instruction in Greek and Latin. In 1821, with the consent of the Archbishop of York, it was resolved to instruct 10 poor boys in reading, writing, grammar, and arithmetic. The Commissioners notice the liberal conduct of the Rev. John Coates, the then master. Total number of free scholars, 14 to 17. Income £76 2s. 8d.
Joshua Earnshaw's charity, by will, 24th November 1693. £16 5s. per annum to a schoolmaster, for learning such children of Holme and Gate Holme as come to him, reading, writing, and arithmetic, without charge. About 30 or 40 scholars.
Poor's estate. Left by John Earnshaw, 9th Win. III. Let for about £10 per annum, and the money given to the poor. — Vide 18th Report, page 542.

Post town, Huddersfield.


HONLEY. — (Parish of Almondbury. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 4,523, vide Almondbury; Chapel-room, 1000; Net value, £176.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Neither minister nor maintenance. About 100 families. Recommended to be made a separate parish. — Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 297.

See Archbishop Sharp's MS. for the particulars of the augmentations.

Augmented in 1729 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from Richard Horsefall, Esq. and Mr. Wm. Walker.

26th September 1737, faculty granted to build a gallery.

A faculty was granted 30th July 1756, to enlarge the Chapel and to sell seats, a brief having been previously obtained.

4th August 1789, burial-ground consecrated.

22nd November 1793, faculty to alter the situation of the pulpit, &c.

An Inclosure Act was passed 22nd Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Registers, previous to 1813, are deposited in the mother Church.

Parochial Charities. — No return.

Post town, Huddersfield.


LINTHWAITE. — (Perpetual Curacy.) CHRIST CHURCH. — (Parish of Almondbury.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,852, vide Almondbury; Chapel-room, 800†; Net value, £51.

Of which 200 are free sittings.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Impropriators, governors of Clitheroe Free Grammar School.

Built under aid from the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with turret and spire. First stone laid 9th April 1827. Consecrated in 1828. Parliamentary grant in aid, £3,000. No district has yet been assigned. Completed. — Vide 9th Report, page 3.

Augmented in 1832 with £200 by lot; and in 1833 with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. N. Padwick, the incumbent.

There is no glebe house.

Parochial Charities. — No return.

No return as to registers.

Post town, Huddersfield.


LOCKWOOD. — EMANUEL. — (Parish of Almondbury. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 5,400, vide Almondbury; Chapelroom, 920†; Net value, £60.

Of which 398 are free sittings. This is agreeable to the Report of the Church Building Commissioners. In 1834, the chapel-room is stated only at 880.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Impropriators, governors of Clitheroe School.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with bell turret. First stone laid 4th September 1828. Consecrated 2nd September 1830. Cost £2,950 15s. 3d. No district has yet been assigned. — Vide 10th Report, p. 3.

Augmented in 1831 with £400 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

There is no glebe house.

No return as to registers.

Parochial Charities. — Vide Almondbury.

Post town, Huddersfield.


MARSDEN. — (Parish of Almondbury. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,340, vide Almondbury; Chapel-room, 670†; Net value, £85.

Estimated at 800 in 1818.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Valued in 1707 at £3 6s. 8d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 297, it is stated, "About 140 families; £2 10s. maintenance; to be made a parish."

Archbishop Sharp gives an account of the profits of the Curacy.

Augmented in 1742 with £200; in 1758 with £200; and in 1775 with £200 — all by lot; in 1782 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Haigh, clothier; in 1793 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Luke Campinot; and in 1816 with £600 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot; and in 1824 with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 by subscription; and in the same year with £200 from the same grant, by lot.

10th May 1758, faculty to rebuild and enlarge the Chapel, a brief having been granted in 1754, and to dispose of the seats therein.

16th April 1798, an additional burial ground was consecrated.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books, for baptisms and burials, commence in 1776.

The Manor Court claims the right of granting probates and letters of administration.

Parochial Charities. — No return.

Post town, Huddersfield.


MELTHAM. — ST. BARTHOLOMEW. — (Parish of Almondbury. Perpetual and unaugmented Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,746, vide Almondbury; Chapel-room, 750; Net value, £273.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Impropriators, governors of Clitheroe Free School.

Valued in 1707 at £34 3s. 6d. per an num, and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 298, it is stated, "the inhabitants of Meltham, half in the said parish, are now building another Chapel within the same parish, and in regard that it is almost six miles remote from the parish Church, and about 80 inhabitants are fit to repair to it, we do desire, on their behalf, some maintenance from the Parliament for a minister."

Consecrated 24th August 1651, by Henry Tilson, Bishop of Elphin.

A brief was granted in 1782 for this Chapel.

29th July 1785, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Chapel.

25th February 1835, faculty to enlarge the Chapel and to erect a gallery.

Torre gives a list of the Curates.

Inclosure Acts were passed 57th Geo. III., 11th Geo. IV., and 1st Wm. IV. amended Act.

No glebe house.

The Register Books, for baptisms and burials, commence in 1669.

Charity. — School. Matthew Lockwood, by will, dated 23rd May 1715, directed the interest of £20 to be paid to a schoolmaster, for teaching children, in the town of Meltham, English or Latin.

A school and house have been lately built by subscription. — 18th Report, page 552.

Post town, Huddersfield.


NETHERTHONG. — ALL SAINTS. — (Parish of Almondbury. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 1,004, vide Almondbury; Chapel-room, 700†; Net value, £57.

Of which 318 are free sittings. — Vide Report of the Church Building Commissioners. In 1834, the return only states accommodation for 640 persons.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Impropriators, governors of Clitheroe School.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with cupola. First stone laid 14th January 1829. Cost, £2,869 12s. 1d. No district has yet been assigned. — Vide 10th Report, p. 3.

Augmented in 1831 with £800 from the Parliamentary grant, and in 1832 with £200, — both by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 7th Geo. IV.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Impropriators, governors of Clitheroe School.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

There is no glebe house.

Register Books from the consecration.

Charity. — Shaw's gift. Interest of £20 left in 1750, by Henry Shaw, for the poor of the township not receiving parochial relief. — Vide 8th Report, page 542.

Post town, Huddersfield.


SOUTH CROSSLAND. HOLY TRINITY. — (Parish of Almondbury. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,258, vide Almondbury; Chapel-room, 700'; Net value, £55.

Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with tower. First stone laid 15th October 1 827. Consecrated in 1829. Cost, £2,321 4s. ld. — Vide 10th Report. No district has yet been assigned.

There is no glebe house.

No return as to registers.

Charities.

Godfrey Beaumont's charity. £3 per annum to the schoolmaster and £2 to the poor as a dole.
Richard Beaumont's charity. Vide General Charities. — Vide 21st Report, page 593.

Post town, Huddersfield.


HUDDERSFIELD. — ST. PETER. — (Discharged Vicarage.) — Area, 15,080 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 31,041†; Church-room, 1,000‡; Net value, £503.

Viz. Huddersfield, 19,035; Golcar, 3,143; Lindley, 2,306; Longwood, 2,111; part of Marsden, 642; Scammonden, 012; and Slaithwaite, 2,892. There are eight Chapels within this parish, viz. St. Paul's, Golcar, Paddock, Lindley, Husthwaite, Scamtnonden, Longwood, and Woodhouse. About 350 labourers are employed on the highways, and 50 in the quarries. The increase in population since 1821 is 5,751.
In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,260.

This Church was given by Robert de Lacy, and also by Hugh de la Val, to Nostell Priory, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.

Torre is silent as to any endowment. The first Vicar named in his close catalogue was instituted in 1316.

In 1503, a commission was granted to John, Bishop of Negropont, to consecrate the Church, then newly built.

Two Chantries are mentioned in the Valor Ecc.

Patron and impropriator, Sir J. Ramsden, bart.

In Pope Nicholas's Survey, the Church is valued at £9 6s. Sd., and the Vicarage at £6 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £17 13s. 2½d. per annum, after deducting for pension to the Vicar of Dewsbury £2 13s. Ad.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 304, it is stated: "Vicarage, £17 per annum; impropriation, £60 per annum." Synodals, 3s., and Procurations, 7s. 6d.

"The Church is endowed only with the petty tithes. Augmented with 20s. per annum, for a commemoration sermon for Mr. John Tounley, jun. of this parish, late deceased." Signed, "T. Heald. Vic." Notitia Parochialis, No.423.

A decree in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 14th Eliz. as to tithes at Lindley, but which is unreported.

Inclosure Acts were passed 26th Geo. III. and 54th Geo. III. (Longwood and Deanhead.)

Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

29th June 1786, and 8th October 1819, additional burial-grounds consecrated.

18th July 1806, faculty to new pew the Church and erect galleries.

11th April 1812, confirmation of allotment of pews.

19th May 1814, faculty to rebuild the tower or spire.

12th May 1834, ditto to rebuild the Church and erect galleries.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1563. Defective from 1564 to 1566.

Charities.

Dole land charity. Rent of 26a. 3r. 9p. of land, and interest of £83 1s. 9d. in savings' bank, under the will of Thomas Armitage, dated 21st September 1647, left for the purchase of wool, to be given to poor people on Christmas-day evening. £5 of the money was added by the Rev. Thomas Clarke, formerly the Vicar. The distribution is now made in money on St. Thomas's day.
Robert Gibson's charity, by will, dated in 1638. $4 2s. paid to the poor once in two years.
Mrs. White's charity. Rent-charge of £1 per annum.
Waterhouse's charity. £1 per annum. — Vide Halifax.
National School. The site was given by John Ramsden, Esq. for a school, as far back as 1681. — Vide 18th Report, page 553.

A post town.


HUDDERSFIELD. — HOLY TRINITY. — (Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, vide St. Peter; Church-room, 1,500; Net value, £135.

Patron, B. A. Greenhead, Esq.

A beautiful Gothic structure, erected at an expense of £12,000 by the late B. H. Allen, Esq., and consecrated 8th October 1819.

Augmented in 1 825 with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

No district has been assigned.

No return as to registers.

No glebe house.


HUDDERSFIELD. — ST. PAUL. — (Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapenpentake, U.D. — Population, 4,000, vide St. Peter; Church-room, 1,243†; Net value, £200.

Of which 380 are free sittings.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with tower and spire. First stone laid 13th November 1829. Cost, £5,486 15s. No district has yet been assigned. — Vide 11th Re port, page 4.

No return as to registers.

No glebe house.

Parochial Charities, vide Huddersfield. — 18th Report.


GOLCAR. — ST. JOHN. — (Parish of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 3,143, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 850†; Net value, £61.

Number of free sittings not mentioned; but in the Report of the Church Building Commissioners the sittings are stated to be 950.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with tower and spire. First stone laid 13th March 1828. Consecrated in 1829. Cost, £2,865 17s. 10d. No district has yet been assigned. — Vide 10th Report, page 3.

An inclosure Act was passed 1st Geo. IV.

No glebe house.

No return as to registers.

Post town, Huddersfield.


LINDLEY. — ST. STEPHEN. — (Parish of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,306, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 867†; Net value, £43.

Of which 459 are free sittings. This is according to the Report of the Church Building Commissioners. The return in 1834 is only 800.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

Augmented in 1831 with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot; and in 1834 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 by subscriptions.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with tower and steeple. First stone laid 11th June 1828. Cost, £2,615 15s. 8d. No district has yet been assigned. — Vide 10th Report, page 3.

An Inclosure Act was passed 52nd Geo. III.

No glebe house.

No return as to registers.

Post town, Huddersfield.


LONGWOOD. — SAINT MARK. — (Parish of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,111, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 450†; Net value, £119.

In 1818, returned at 700.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

The Chapel and Chapel-yard were consecrated 15th April 1798.

Augmented in 1799 with £200, in 1800 with £200, in 1801 with £200, and in 1802 with £200 — all by lot; and in 1810 with £200, in 1811 with £1,000, in 1812 with £400, in 1813 with £200, and in 1823 with £600 — all from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 54th Geo. III.

No glebe house.

No return as to registers.

Charities.

Free School, founded by William Walker, by will, dated 11th August 1731, for the education of forty boys and girls; the boys to be taught reading, writing, and the two first rules of arithmetic; the girls to be taught reading. The master to receive the Sacrament at least four times a year, according to the usage of the Church of England. Both boys and girls to be instructed in the Church Catechism, and catechised twice a year at Huddersfield Church. The master to use a convenient portion of the Common Prayerbook, the Confession being always a part, every morning and evening, and endeavour to improve the children in Christian knowledge. The children to be elected out of Longwood. Golcar, and Milnes Bridge; the poorest and fatherless to be preferred. Income: rent of 61a. 3r. of land and three houses. — The Commissioners reported unfavourably of the state of the school, and the management of the fund; and recommended that John Dawson, Esq., the heir of the founder, should institute an inquiry.
Linley School. Site given by Thomas Thornhill, Esq. in 1706. No free scholars.
Thomas Firth's dole. 10s. per annum, given in 1623. — Vide 18th Report, page 554.

Post town, Huddersfield.


PADDOCK. — ALL SAINTS. — (Parish of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,500, vide Huddersfield; Chapelroom, 867†; Net value, £47.

Of which 459 are free sittings. Vide Re port of the Church Building Commissioners. In 1834, the accommodation was only stated at 800.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

Augmented, in 1831, with £800, by lot.

Built under the Parliamentary grant.

Architecture Gothic, with tower and steeple. First stone laid 5th November 1828. Consecrated in 1830. Cost, £2,606 12s. 2d. No district has yet been assigned. — Vide 10th Report, p. 3.

No return as to glebe house or registers.

Post town, Huddersfield.


SCAMMONDEN, alias DEANHEAD. — (Parish of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 912, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 350†; Net value, £186.

Returned 500 in 1818.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

Impropriator, Sir J. Ramsden, Bart.

Valued, in 1707, at £15; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 306, it is stated: "Ways bad. Fifty families, but no minister. £10 per annum maintenance. To be made a parish, and High Moss House and Over House, being three miles off Ripponden, to be taken from Halifax parish and annexed to Dean Head."

Augmented in 1718 with £200, to meet benefaction from Mr. George Woodhead, of lands worth £240; and in 1731 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. William Walker and Mr. William Denton.

15th June 1812, faculty granted to rebuild the Chapel.

An Inclosure Act was passed 54th Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Register Books for baptisms and burials commence in 1746.

Charities.

George Woodhead's charity, by will, dated 24th October 1732. £5 per annum, to be distributed on St. James's Day amongst poor persons not receiving constant parochial relief.
John Hoyle's gift, by will, dated 11th January 1734. £1 per annum. — Vide 18th Report, page 554.

Post town, Huddersfield.


SLAITHWAITE. — (Parish of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 2,892, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 1,500; Net value, £192.

Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.

"Four miles from Huddersfield; way bad. No minister. No maintenance, save 4s. per annum. Recommended to be made a parish, and Linsett, in the parish of Almondbury, to be annexed thereto." — Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 305.

"An ancient Chapel, being much decayed, was repaired and enlarged at the charge of John Kay, Esq. and his tenants, and other neighbouring inhabit ants, in 1593. No endowment, but contributions something better than £20 per annum. A gift of 4s. yearly, left by will of one Eastwood, of the Binn, in Marsden. It is charged on the Binn land, and now paid by Samuel Haigh, Widow Kay, and James Hirst, the occupiers." — Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,349.

Augmented in 1718 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir Arthur King, Bart, and William Walker, Esq., and in 1776 with £200 and in 1792 with £200 — both by lot.

30th April, 1765, faculty to erect a gallery.

27th August 1787, faculty granted to rebuild the Chapel.

4th August 17S9, the Chapel and Chapel-yard were consecrated.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1684. Defective in some parts, but entered at Huddersfield.

Charity. — Free School, founded by the Rev. Robert Meek, by deed, 21st June 1721. Income: rent of 18a. 2r. 17p. of land, after paying 9s. per annum for bread and wine for the Sacrament on Whit Sunday. Twenty free scholars are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic. The Curate is declared by the deed not to be eligible as the school master. — Vide 19th Report, page 548.

Post town, Huddersfield.


WOODHOUSE. CHRIST CHURCH. — of Huddersfield. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 4,400, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 500; Net value, £280.

Patron, John Whitacre, Esq.

Consecrated in 1824. Frequented by the inhabitants of Far Town, Deighton, and Bradley.

There is no glebe house.

No return as to registers.

Parochial Charities.—No return.

Post town, Huddersfield.


KTRKBURTON†. — SAINT JOHN BAPTIST (Vicarage in charge.) — Area, 15,990 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 15,731‡; Church-room, 1,500§; Net value, £30.

Alias Berton. In Domesday Book it is written Bertone.
Viz. Cartworth, 1,796; Cumberworth half, 1,180; Foulston, 1,573; Hepworth, 1,229; Kirkburton, 2,650; Shelley, 1,319; Shipley, 893; Thurstonland, 1,098; and Wooldale, 3,993. The increase of population in the township of Cartworth (585 persons) is attributed to the erection of upwards of 100 cottages. The quarries and coal-mines in the parish of Kirkburton afford employment to upwards of 100 labourers. In 1834, the return, exclusive of the chapelries, was 7,140.
§ In 1818, stated at 4,000.

Given to the College at Westminster by King Edward III., and a Vicarage appropriated there to, and ordained therein, 27th March, A.D. 1357, which contains a reservation relative to tithes of iron and coal.

Patron, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, though Archbishop Sharp says the Crown, but this is a mistake.

The governors of Sheffield Hospital are impropriators.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £35 9s. 8d. per annum; in the King's Books at £13 6s. 8d. after deducting for Synodals, 7s. 6d. and Procurations, 4s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 299, at £80 per annum. Pension to the Vicar of Dewsbury, £4.

The present Church, built in the reign of Edward III., pays a pension of £4 per annum to the mother Church of Dewsbury, from which it appears to have been severed about the time of the first Earl of Warren.

"The Vicarage is endowed with all small tithes. Yearly value about £30." Signed, "Jos. Briggs, Vic." — Notitia Parochialis, No. 583.

Decrees as to tithes were made in the Exchequer, in Michaelmas Term, 36th Eliz., and in Trinity Term, 10th Wm. III., but they are unreported.

Inclosure Acts were passed 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Thurstonland); 43rd Geo. III. (Shelley); 53rd Geo. III., 7th and 8th Geo. IV. (Shiplev); and 9th Geo. IV. (Holme).

13th February 1770, faculty to erect a new gallery.

17th April 1780, ditto to erect a gallery.

23rd October 1789, ditto to re-pew the Church.

Dr. Whitaker gives a list of the Vicars.

Two Chantries were founded in this Church.

Cumberworth half includes part of Skelmanthorpe township, the other part is included in Emley parish, but the whole is in Staincross wapentake. Cumberworth is mostly in Silkstone parish, Staincross wapentake.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1686. No marriage registers from 1774 to 1789, and 1807 to 1812, can be found. — Vide Transcripts at York.

Charities.

The School. This was originally established by the inhabitants in 1714. In 1721, the Rev. Henry Robinson bequeathed £100 for teaching ten poor children of the township of Kirkburton and three of the township of Thurstonland. In 1722, John Horsfall, Esq. bequeathed £360 for teaching ten poor children of each of the above townships, and providing annually two shirts or shifts for each child. The children are taught reading gratis, and writing at half charges. The income consists of the rent of 26 acres of land, and the interest of £50. A question was also depending at the time of the Report, as to an equivalent for a house, let for £30 per annum, and agreed to be purchased by Wentworth and Co. (who afterwards became bankrupts), and pulled down by them. The trustees are the Vicar of Kirkburton, the Rectors of Kirkheaton and Emley, and the heirs of John Horsfall, Esq.
Shelley School. Income: rent of six acres of land, and use of house. Four children taught English, reading, writing, and accounts, free of charge.
Thurstonland Charity School, founded by the will of Ann Lndlam, dated 18th April 1763. Seven trustees. Income: interest of £500 and rent of 2a. 1r. 23p. of land. House for the master. Free to all the township for reading; a quarterage is paid for writing. — Vide 18th Report, page 557, and 21st Report, page 594.

Post town, Huddersfield.


HOLMFIRTH. — (Parish of Kirkburton. Perpetual Curacy.) — Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 10,716, vide Kirkburton; Chapel-room, 1,150; Net value, £110.

Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton.

"No endowment; one Mr. Samuel Appleyard is preacher there, and stands at the benevolence of the people." Recommended to be made a parish. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 300.

It appears from Archbishop Sharp's MS. that the Curate has been paid by small pew-rents, from the first settlement of the Chapel.

A brief was granted in 1777 for this Church.

Augmented in 1726 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Joseph Kaye and others; and, in 1754, with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. John Harrop.

12th March 1803, faculty granted to enlarge the Chapel.

7th November 1 828, ditto to erect an organ. The glebe house is fit for residence. The Register Books, for baptisms and burials, commence in 1797. Marriages are celebrated at Kirkburton.

Charities.

Luke Wilson's charity, by will, dated 1st September 1713. Rent-charges of £5 per annum to the poor.
Philip Bray's charity, by will, dated in 1725. Interest of £10 to the poor at Hepworth.
Philip Dray's charity. Annuity of 20s. under will, dated 16th January 1764, to the poor of Fulstone.
Hepworth charity. Rent-charge of £5. to the poor of Hepworth, by deed, dated 23rd September 1765, paid by Uriah Fisher, the heir of the last surviving trustee. The Commissioners advise the appointment of new trustees.
School, founded by the will of Richard Charlesworth, dated 5th January 1649, and augmented by Philip Bray with £5 per annum. The land consists of 8a. 3r. There are only five free scholars.
Martha Jackson's charity. 10s. per annum, by deed, in 1733. This was paid in 1786 by a person of the name of Joshua Cuttil. Not now paid.
Joshua Marsden's gift, in 1751. Interest of £20. This sum in 1786 was in the hands of Mr. J. Bray. No interest is now paid.
Wooldale School. Built, says the Commissioners, about 50 years ago, by means of a legacy and subscriptions. No free scholars. — Vide 18th Report, page 557.

Post town, Huddersfield.


NEW MILL. — CHRIST CHURCH. — (Parish of Kirkburton. Perpetual Curacy.) — Population, 3,750, vide Kirkburton; Church-room, 1,000; Net value, £55.

Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton; impropriators, the Governors of Sheffield Hospital.

This Church was built under the Parliamentary grant. Architecture Gothic, with tower. Will accommodate 1,000 persons; free sittings, 412. Expense £3,240 16s. 4d. First stone laid 8th April 1829. — Vide 11th Report, page 4.

Augmented, in 1834, with £200 by lot.

Post town, Huddersfield.


KIRKHEATON. — ST. JOHN BAPTIST. — (Rectory in charge.) — Area, 6,500 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. — Population, 10,020†; Church-room, 1,300; Net value, £537.

Viz. Dalton, 3,060; Kirkheaton, 2,755; Lepton, 3,320; and Upper Whitley, 885. Eighty-four men are employed in quarries and mines in this parish.

An ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the family of De Burg, and afterwards of the Duke of Northumberland.

Patron, the Rev. J. Alderson.

The value of the Church in Pope Nicholas's taxation is £20 per annum, and the Vicarage is valued in the King's Books at £25 13s. 9rf. per annum; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 319, at £105 per annum. Pension to the Vicar of Dewsbury, £1 3s. Ad. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.

A Chantry is named in the Valor. Ecc.

Inclosure Acts were passed 19th Geo. III. (Lepton); 29th Geo. III. (Dalton); 39th Geo. III. (Kirkheaton); 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Denby with Clayton); 44th Geo. III. amended Act, and 1st and 2nd Geo. IV. (Whitley).

Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

10th March 1756, faculty to erect a gallery.

7th May 1791, ditto to re-pew the Church.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1653; defective, 1722—1731. — See Transcripts at York.

Charities.

The School. William Lyley, in 1685, left a rent-charge of £5 per annum for educating ten poor boys, and the Rev. Mr. Stocks left 10s. per annum for repairing the school windows. The Rector for the time being is one of the trustees.
Charity estate. Rent of 16 acres of land, purchased with £100 given to the poor by N. Lee, before 1671.
Gibson's charity. £4 2s. once in two years given to the poor. Vide Huddersfield. Beaumont's charity. Vide General Charities.
William Bedford's charity, by will. The interest of £30 to the poor of Whitley. — Vide 21st Report, page 595.

Post town, Huddersfield.


CUMBERWORTH. — ST. NICHOLAS. — (Parish of Silkstone. Donative.) — Staincross and Agbrigg wapentake. — Population, 579, vide Kirkburton†; Chapel-room, 280; Net value, £148.

The population is however included in Kirkburton parish, in the official returns. Part of Skelmanthorpe is in the parish of Emley.

There was a parochial Chapel in Cumberworth, belonging to the patronage of the families of Dronsfield and another. — Vide Torre, who also gives a catalogue of Rectors to 1412.

Patron, T. W. Beaumont, Esq. 4th July 1627, the Archbishop granted the right of sacramentals and burials.

Not named in King Henry's Valor. Valued in 1707 at £18 15s. per annum; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 412, it is stated "Distant from Penistone two miles."

Cumberworth half includes part of Skelmanthorpe.

An Inclosure Act was passed 39th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1653, but are imperfect until 1708.

Charities.

Edward Stones's charity, by deed, dated 26th January, 7th Jac. I. Rent-charge of 33s. 4d. per annum, viz. 20s. for the aged and impotent poor dwelling in Cumberworth half, 6s. 8d. for the repairs of the Chapel, and 6s. 8d. to the churchwardens of Silkstone.
Poor's money. Interest of £45, of which £40 was given by Mrs. Ann Railton, and £5 was money anciently belonging to the poor.
PARISH OP EMLEY, CUMBERWORTH HALF. Unknown rent-charge of 10s. is distributed among poor persons of Cumberworth.
Poor's land. Rent of six acres, half to the poor of Cumberworth, £6; part of the rent is paid to the master of Skelmanthorpe School, for instructing six poor children, and the residue to the poor on St. Thomas's day. — Vide 17th Report, page 768, and 19th Report, page 548.

Post town, Huddersfield.