Clarence Widdowson (c.1892-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WIDDOWSON, CLARENCE. Private. No 14490. 10th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Cumberworth near Huddersfield. Son of Mrs A J Widdowson, Hillside, Denby Dale. Employed at Messrs Stringer and Jagger's colliery at Emley Moor. Killed in action at Munster Alley on 29.7.1916 during the Battle of the Somme (Casualties - 205). He was 24 years of age. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private CLARENCE WIDDOWSON
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, July 29, 1916
- age: 24 years
- record ID: 821423
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #821423)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4737571)