DEWSBURY off WHITLEY ROAD (Whitley Lower). Church of St. Mary & St. Michael.
Large Neo-Norman church. 1847. Chancel appears to be later. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and moulded ashlar plinth. Pitched, blue, fishscale-slated roof, and plain, green slate chancel roof. 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel and 4-tier, square, west tower with squat pyramidal, tiled roof. Round arched 2-light nave windows with round arched lights and colonnettes to reveals and as centre mullion all with scalloped capitals. Diaperwork in the tympana. Bold hood moulds. Saw-tooth corbel-table to eaves. Round-arched south doorway projects with gable over, and has 4 orders of decoration, 3 colonnettes with decorative capitals, and very elaborate hinges to door. The chancel has small round-arched archivolted single lights, and billet-moulded corbel-table. East window of 3 small round-arched lights. In gable apex is large wheel window.
The tower has angle buttresses and a small stair tower. Round- arched and heavily decorated west doorway with 2 colonnettes with scalloped capitals. At 2nd tier level is a 4-light window with round arched lights, the outer 2 blind, above which are intersecting over-arches. Similar windows to north and south. Bell-chamber openings in the nook-shafted 4th tier, are 2-light with bold surround and colonnettes.Interior: 4-bay round arcade, to each side, on broad columns with square base and various decorative capitals. Organ at rear under fine, decorative tower arch on large responds. Large round font with engaged colonnettes. Open-back pews with gothic finials. Good, carved gothic wooden pulpit, with linen-fold and traceried panels, on stone base. Good wooden commemorative lectern of 1910, an angel holding the reading desk over head. Very elaborately carved gothic chancel screen with doors. Choir stalls in chancel. Deep window reveals in chancel with colonnettes and zig-zag decoration. Stained glass. Piscina and sedilia. Close trusses to chancel roof.