Christopher Smith Birch (c.1885-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BIRCH, CHRISTOPHER SMITH. Private. No 29045. 10th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Upperthong. Son of Mrs W.S. Birch of Victoria Street, Holmfirth. Educated at Holmfirth Wesleyan Day School. On leaving school he entered the postal service, first being attached to the telegraph department and then he became a postman in both the Holmfirth and Thongsbridge Post Offices. Before enlistment, on 17.8.1916, worked for his grandfather Mr Christopher Dawson, baker and confectioner. Had just been offered a commission when he was killed at the Battle of Passchendaele, 18.10.1917, aged 32 years. Buried in TYNE COT CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 45, Row H, Grave 13.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private BIRCH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, October 18, 1917
- record ID: 461948
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #461948)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #347332)