Christ Church, Helme
- location: Slades Lane, Helme
- status: exists
- architect: Pritchett & Sons
- category: church
Erected in memory of Charles John Brook (1829-1857) by his relatives. The church is noted for unusual lack of stained glass and shingled spire.
It is said that a rainbow appeared during Charles John's funeral at St. James's Church and it seemed to touch the ground at Helme – the family took this as a sign from the departed and selected the site accordingly.
The foundation stone was laid by Charles John's 3-year-old son Charles Lewis Brook in August 1858. The church was built mostly from stone from Royd Edge Quarries and was consecrated in November 1859 by the Lord Bishop of Ripon.
The first incumbent of Christ Church was Charles John Brook's older brother, the Rev. James Brook.
The neighbouring vicarage and school, which replaced an earlier temporary structure, were also commissioned by the Brook family.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 24 January 1984
- listing entry number 1300326
SLADES LANE (Helme). Christ Church. Gothic Revival church in Decorated style. Built 1859. Endowed by Charles Brook of Healey House, in memory of Charles John Brook of Thickhollins.
Exterior: Rock faced stone. Steeply pitched red plain tiled roof which becomes more shallow over aisles. Square tower in south- west corner. 4-bay buttressed nave. 2-bay chancel. Aisle windows are 3-light some with intersecting and some with reticulated tracery. 5-light east window and 4-light west window, both with Decorated tracery. South porch of timber on dwarf walls. 2-tier square tower with angle buttresses with off-sets. Small 2-light traceried, louvred bell chamber openings and round clock'faces, all, with hood moulds. Eaves cornice to tower which is surmounted by slender splay-footed shingled spire.
Interior: 4-bay arcade to north and south, on short octagonal piers. Arches are double chamfered. Long, light chancel with carved stone reredos, in form of blind arcade, with carved foliage in spandrels. Painted texts on walls including the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments. Good gilded eagle lect of 1908 with Art Nouveau stem. No stained glass. Arched braced collar beam roof on corbel brackets.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1858-1933
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — burials 1860-1942
- Ancestry.co.uk — births & baptisms 1858-1910
- Ancestry.co.uk — marriages & banns 1860-1935
- Ancestry.co.uk — deaths & burials 1860-1942
- Find a Grave