Cherry Tree Inn, West Gate (North), Huddersfield
- appears on maps: 1851 [#521]
- location: West Gate, Huddersfield
- listed in: Baines (1822)
- status: no longer exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
- notes: shown on the north side of West Gate in 1851, demolished prior to opening up of Railway Street and relocated to the south side of West Gate
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
In 1868 a good deal of old property on the north side of Westgate was demolished to make way for the new Ramsden Estate Offices. This handsome Gothic Revival building, designed by W.H. Crosland, opened in 1870 and still stands on the right hand side between Station Street and Railway Street. The demolished property included the shops of a fishmonger, a staymaker and a bootmaker and more notably, perhaps, the Cherry Tree Inn which stood on the corner of Railway Street and Westgate. One of seven inns then standing in Westgate, the Cherry Tree was favoured by many of the clothiers who came into the town on market day and a great deal of business was contracted there. Those of our readers who enjoy seeking out old photographs of the town will have seen one of a group of men standing in front of the Cherry Tree Inn. This was taken on the afternoon on 27th July 1868 when the landlord, Mr. Cooper, had invited several friends to a final dinner to mark the passing of the old house. Happily a new Cherry Tree Inn, still with Mr. Cooper as landlord, was soon opened on the corner of Westgate and Market Street, diagonally opposite the site of the old one. By the 1920s this had become the Cherry Tree Commercial Hotel. That too is now gone but the area is still known as Cherry Tree Corner and the modern buildings on the site of the inn are part of the so called Cherry Tree Centre.