Charlie Starkey (c.1883-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- STARKEY, CHARLIE. Private. No 81429. 1/8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Formerly No 52448 Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Firth Street, Aspley, Huddersfield. Educated Berry Brow Council Schools. Husband of Mary Ellen Starkey, 14 Clement Street, Birkby. Employed as a painter and decorator by Mr E Oates of Birkby. Enlisted 6.6.1918. Killed in action near Solesmes on 20.10.1918, aged 35 years. Buried QUIEVY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. Grave location:- Row A, Grave 18.
- ROH:- Fartown and Birkby War Memorial; memorial in Lockwood Cemetery; Taylor Hill Primitive Methodist Church.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private CHARLIE STARKEY
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Sunday, October 20, 1918
- age: 35 years
- record ID: 247299
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #247299)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4235665)