This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific person. More in-depth information may eventually be added. If you have any further details relating to this person, please leave a comment or get in touch
Charles Brook — often referred to as Charles Brook Senior, to differentiate him from his nephew, Charles Brook (1814-1872) — was a manufacturer and partner of Jonas Brook and Brothers of Meltham Mills. He later established a silk mill at Bent Ley as Charles Brook and Sons.
He was born on 12 March 1792 at Thickhollins Hall, Meltham, the son of William Brook and his wife Martha (née Smith), and was baptised 9 April 1792.
His siblings included Jonas Brook (1775-1836) and Joseph Brook (1787-1858).
He married Anne Brooke (1789-1882), daughter of William Brooke (1763-1846) of Armitage Bridge, on 20 September 1821 and they resided at Healey House, South Crosland. They had nine children:
Following the death of his son, Charles John Brook, he funded the erection of Christ Church, Helme, with an endowment of £5,000.
Charles Brook died on 13 November 1869, aged 77, and was buried on 17 November at Christ Church.
His widow, Anne Brook, died on 19 October 1882 at Healey House, aged 93, and was buried on 24 October at Christ Church.
Notes and References
- ↑ Born 30 June 1822 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 13 July 1822. Married 1858 in Derby to Helen Elizabeth Johnson (1836-1907). Died 22 January 1895 at Hotel Grand Bretagne, Cannes, France. Probate listed effects worth £113,567 19s. 11d.
- ↑ Born 19 August 1823 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 23 August 1823 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham. Did not marry. Died 21 December 1901 at Healey House. Probate listed effects worth £12,511.
- ↑ Baptised 11 August 1824 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham. Married 12 November 1857 to Frederick George Blomfield (1823-1879). Died 9 December 1881 and buried 14 December at Christ Church, Helme.
- ↑ Baptised 11 January 1826 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham. Died 1826.
- ↑ Born 23 December 1826 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 28 December 1826 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham. Married 16 August 1863 to Ruth Hewlett (1838-1874) at Christ Church, Helme. Died 25 March 1906 at Stone House, 21 Rose Hill, Dorking, Surrey.
- ↑ Born 20 April 1828 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 25 April 1826 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham. Married 1854 in Essex to Harriet Jane Blomfield (1831-1911). Died 21 October 1870 Mansfield Woodhouse in Nottinghamshire.
- ↑ Born 12 July 1829 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 18 July 1829 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham. Married 1 August 1854 to Mary Jones (1835-1919), daughter clergyman Lewis Jones of Almondbury. Died 17 February 1857 at Thickhollins, Meltham, and buried 21 February at St. James, Meltham Mills.
- ↑ Charles Lewis Brook was born 12 June 1855 and helped lay the foundation stone of Christ Church, Helme in August 1858. Aspects of his life are discussed in "Charles Lewis Brook: third Director of the BAA Variable Star Section" by Jeremy Shears.
- ↑ Born 16 October 1830 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 29 October 1830 at Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Married 1867 in Lincolnshire to Eliza Jackson (1847-1921). Became Vicar of Hackney. Died 21 April 1909 in Surrey.
- ↑ Born 5 August 1832 at Healey House, South Crosland. Baptised 14 August 1832 at Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Died 1833 and buried 8 July 1833.