Charles Alfred Battye (c.1899-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BATTYE, CHARLES ALFRED. Private. No 91514. 1/4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Formerly No 468694 Labour Company. Born Holmfirth. Son of Mr and Mrs S. Battye of Upperbridge, Holmfirth. Educated at Upperthong National School. Attended St. John's Sunday School and was a member of the Young Men's Institute. Employed by Councillor Luther Firth, of Upperbridge, as a butcher and also by Mr Joseph Stockwell of Victoria Square, Holmfirth. Enlisted May 1917. Died in the VAD Hospital at Hornsea of septic pneumonia at 1.30pm on 8.11.1918, aged 19 years. Buried with full military honours, ST JOHN'S CHURCHYARD, UPPERTHONG. Grave location:- 1, north of Church, 18.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private CHARLES ALFRED BATTYE
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Friday, November 8, 1918
- age: 19 years
- record ID: 2752012