MARSH HALL LANE. Thurstonland. Church of St. Thomas.
Gothic Revival church. 1870. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof with stone gutter on moulded brackets. Five-bay offset-buttressed nave with paired, cusped, arched lights. Two-bay chancel with cusped single light windows with trefoil in head East window is 4-light with two 5-foils and one 6-foil in head. West window consists of 2 pairs of slender cusped lancets, each with quatrefoil in circle to head. Large quatrefoil in circle to apex. 3-tier tower on south side at east end of nave, with stair turret and splay-footed stone spire with lucarnes which have 5-foil in head. Archivolted paired, cusped lights to 2nd tier. Large 2-light bell- chamber openings, louvred and with circle in head. Doorway on south side with moulded arched head and figure in canopied niche over. Vestry wing on north side.Interior: Arched braced hammer beam roof. Square font, 1871 with 4 marble colonnettes on clustered base.