Erected 1867 at a cost of £3,000 to replace the first chapel (opened 1806) which had a stone table reading "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. A.D. MDCCCVI. Ebenezer. Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."
LOWER CLOUGH Linthwaite. Linthwaite Methodist Chapel. Dated 1867. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched stone slate roof. Stone brackets to gutter. Two storeys and basement. Continuous first floor still band. 6-bays long by 4-bay predimented front. Ground floor windows are segment headed. First floor windows are round arched, those to side elevations with impost band. The central bay breaks forward slightly and has two round arched, 6-panelled doors within cambered heads. Cornice area is supported on four console brackets with Foliated base. At first floor level is paired round arched window. Single lights to each side, both floors. Large tablet in tympanum reads in raised capitals: "METHODIST CHURCH ERECTED 1867." Stained glass to north elevation window basement level contains flat.