Methodists initially met at local cottages in the Meltham area before forming a society in 1797.
The first chapel was built on Mill Moor Road in 1819 and this was eventually replaced with the chapel indicated on the 1904 map, which was built on adjoining land between 1884 and 1886 at a cost of £4,000. The original chapel was then repurposed as the Sunday School and Assembly Room.
The second chapel was demolished in the mid-1970s and replaced with the current modern building, with the foundation stone building laid in January 1977. The adjoining first chapel is now in commercial usage.