Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Manchester Road, Linthwaite

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Centenary Chapel
  • location: Manchester Road, Linthwaite
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: church or chapel

An early Wesleyan Society was formed in the area and had 12 members by 1797. By 1817, a "room over a workshop at Scarr Hall" became their chapel and was known as "The Long Baulk" due to it's beamed roof.

Erected 1839[1] with support from the Centenary Fund, the congregation began worshipping in the chapel during construction "before the roofing was finished". The chapel was enlarged in 1865.

The larger building which stands to the left of the chapel was the Sunday school.

The church closed in 1973 and the congregation joined with Carr Lane Methodist Church to form Slaithwaite Methodist Church.[2]

Linked Locations

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::geograph 766514:::

Location

Notes and References

  1. Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship: Volume 3, West Riding (South) (2000) edited by John Wolffe.
  2. West Yorkshire Archive Service: Off the Record.