Category:Victorian post boxes

The following are locations of known surviving Victorian post boxes in the Huddersfield area. If you know of any more, please leave a comment or get in touch!

The first local "street letter boxes" were installed in Huddersfield towards the end of 1855, as recorded by the Leeds Mercury (24/Nov/1855):

The Postmaster of Huddersfield has ordered four pillar letter-boxes to be placed in the streets for the accommodation of the inhabitants. The first is situated in Bradford Road, where Fitzwilliam Street crossed it ; the second in Halifax Road, at the top of Fitzwilliam Street ; the third on Chapel Hill ; the fourth on Seed Hill. The letters in them will be taken to the Post Office at 6:45 am, at 7 p.m., and 10:45 p.m., except on Sundays, when they will not be visited.

Many thanks to the following people for reporting the location of a post box:

  • Frank Grombir
  • Richard Hutson

Locations

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::omeka tag Victorian Post Boxes:::instagram 2N9WMZDXbw:::geograph 4812856:::geograph 5054057:::geograph 5049695:::geograph 393869:::geograph 5051028:::

Victorian post boxes

This page was last modified on 23 August 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed