Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
Local Boards were superseded by Urban Districts under the terms of the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities.
Of the townships that were in existence at the time, only Dalton was not fully represented by a local board. Instead, around one-third of the township was covered by the Moldgreen Local Board District. Similarly, the hamlet of Fartown did not have a local board.
The following 39 pages are in this category, out of 39 total.