The main area covered by this website includes four ecclesiastical parishes. Collectively, these formed the Huddersfield Poor Law Union which came into existence in January 1837.
Historically, an ecclesiastical parish was centred around parish church and formed part of a larger diocese. Each parish could be divided into townships or chapelries — the latter having chapels of ease. During the 1800s, functions of the parish began to increasingly transfer to local boards within each township, eventually leading to urban district councils in the 1890s.
The boundaries of the townships, as marked on the early 1890s O.S. maps, are indicated below, with the colour denoting the historic ecclesiastical parish: