Cary's New Map of England and Wales (1794)
The following map was surveyed by John Cary (c.1754-1835) and published in 1794.
The sheet shown is number 50 and contains the area around Huddersfield in the lower right-hand section.
Use the above controls to zoom in and out, or to view the map in fullscreen mode.
The map contains a number of unusual placename spellings — some of which may be errors — such as Brake Holes (Brockholes), Lockmood (Lockwood), and Slaughwaite (Slaithwaite). The location marked as "Cawell" to the west of Holmfirth may be the surveyor mishearing the area known as Knowl on the Greenfield Road.
The map is reproduced from the David Rumsey Map Collection under a Creative Commons License (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0):