Cartworth Local Board

Huddersfield Chronicle (16/Mar/1861)

Cartworth Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Cartworth and was formed on 14 February 1861 with an initial membership of 9.

Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.

The Local Board District was defined as "that part of the said township of Cartworth which maintains its own highways, and is known as the Hamlet of Cartworth".

There were a total of 19 people nominated for election to the first local board, but 10 withdrew. Therefore the remaining 9 were automatically appointed without the need for an election:[1]

  • Joshua Moorhouse of North Terrace, Upperthong
  • Joshua Littlewood (architect) of Dam House, Cartworth
  • George Hinchliffe (gentleman) of Nabb House
  • Edward Butterworth (mill owner) of Hill House
  • George Battye (gentleman) of Brown Hill
  • Edmund Barber (merchant) of Holmbridge
  • Hiram Littlewood (farmer) of Arrunden
  • Edwin Oldfield (gentleman) of Waterside
  • Joseph Brammald (farmer) of Green Gate

Cartworth Local Board was amalgamated with Upperthong Local Board and Wooldale Local Board in 1884 to form the new Holmfirth Local Board.

Notes and References

  1. "Holmfirth: Cartworth and the Local Government Act" in Huddersfield Chronicle (25/May/1861).

Cartworth Local Board


Local Boards
This page was last modified on 15 January 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed