Together with six other townships, it formed the Graveship of Holme.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
CARTWORTH, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Burton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7¼ miles (S. by W.) from Huddersfield; containing 2247 inhabitants. This township, which comprises about 2820 acres, includes part of the villages of Hinchliffe-Mill and Holmfirth, and extends upwards of two miles northward from the latter place, along the romantic dale of the Holme stream: much of the land is high moor, inclosed under an act, in 1827. The manufacture of woollen-cloth is carried on to a considerable extent. The head of a brass Roman spear was dug up in the bog on the moor, in 1820.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
CARTWORTH, a township in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on a branch of the river Colne, 6 miles S of Huddersfield. It includes part of the village of Holmfirth, and part of the hamlet of Scholes. Acres, 2,820. Real property, £7,930; of which £122 are in quarries. Pop., 2,503. Houses, 503. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen manufacture.
The extent of the Township of Cartworth during the late 1880s is shown below: