Black Swan Inn, Upper Head Row, Huddersfield

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Cambridge Arms, Cambridge Arms Music Salon, Cambridge Music Hall, Cambridge Temperance Hall
  • appears on maps: 1851 [#607]
  • location: Upper Head Row, Huddersfield
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
  • notes: demolished by 1890 map

Renamed the Cambridge Arms Music Salon in 1858 after being purchased by Allen Hoyle. By the late 1860s, the Cambridge Arms was regarded as "the greatest curse in the town" and Hoyle's licence was not renewed at the Brewster Sessions of 1869. The premises was then purchased by the Huddersfield Temperance Society who converted it into a "public house without the drink" (sometimes referred to as a "British Workman pub"), opening in December 1870.[1]

Location

Notes and References

  1. The cost was reported variously as £600 and about £2,000. "Huddersfield Temperance Society" in The Temperance Society (22/Oct/1870) and "Cambridge Temperance Hall" in Huddersfield Chronicle (17/Dec/1870).