A beerhouse kept by James Armitage in 1850. Advertised for let in 1854:
To be LET, with immediate possession, the BUTCHERS' ARMS (free) BEERHOUSE, in Castlegate, to which are attached good stabling, piggeries, hayloft, and other outbuildings. Apply to Mr. James Armitage, on the premises.
The licencee was sawyer John Smith at the time of the 1861 Census. The adjoining property was the Little Bull beerhouse, of which Thomas Lee was the licencee.
Another premises of the same name existed on Manchester Street.
The exact location of the Butchers Arms is not known.