This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific company or business. More detailed information may eventually be added. If you have any information relating to this company, please leave a comment or send an email
Burman and Greenwood were an oil, paint and varnish merchant who are known to have been based on High Street, Huddersfield, in 1920 and on Albion Street by 1937.
The firm had originally been Burman & Calvert, a partnership established in 1836 between Mr. Calvert of Cross Church Street and James Burman (1813-1895). Within a few years, Calvert had retired and Burman continued the business alone. In 1848, a young John Greenwood (c.1836-1895) was employed by Burman and the two entered into partnership as Burman & Greenwood in November 1862.
Burman retired on 24 November 1873 and spent a couple of years living on Jersey before settling in Southport. In the early 1890s he suffered a bout of influenza and his health slowly declined until he died in 1895.
John Greenwood died at around 7:20am on 5 January 1895 aged 59, also from the affects of a bout influenza caught around the same time as Burman. He had joined the firm of Burman & Calvert in aged about 12 and later married the daughter of iron merchant Joseph Taylor (founder of Joseph Taylor and Sons). His son, Albert Edward Greenwood, and grandson, Frank Edwards Greenwood, continued the business.
One long-serving employee was Charles Edward Binns, who reportedly worked for the company for over 50 years and "was well known in the decorating trade throughout the North of England."
The private company Burman and Greenwood Limited was formed in 1951 with a capital of £60,000, at which time the managing director and chairman was Frank Edwards Greenwood of Edgerton Villa.
Notes and References
- ↑ John Greenwood died in January 1895 aged 59 and was buried at the Zion Chapel, Lindley on 9 January. The coming of age of his son, George Taylor Greenwood, was celebrated by employees of the firm at the Commercial Inn on New Street in September 1886 where he was presented with "a beautiful Davenport, the gift of the workpeople employed by the firm." Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Sep/1886).
- ↑ "Partnerships Dissolved" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Jan/1874).
- ↑ Although he retired to Southport, his body was returned to Huddersfield for burial at Lindley, alongside his first wife. See Huddersfield Chronicle (24/May/1895) and Huddersfield Chronicle (01/Jun/1895).
- ↑ "Death of Mr. John Greenwood" in Huddersfield Chronicle (12/Jan/1895).
- ↑ "Death of Mr. C.J. Binns" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (18/Nov/1915).
- ↑ "New Company" in Yorkshire Post (02/Nov/1951). Frank Edwards' father was Albert Edward Greenwood of Edgerton Villa who died 21 March 1932 leaving an estate valued at £22,222. Frank Edwards had previously been the Captain of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club and led them to victory in the 1929 season.