Brooke Burgess (c.1897-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BURGESS, BROOKE. Private. No 29/652. 9th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Born Wooldale. Son of John and Elizabeth Burgess of Wooldale. Employed by Messrs Lancasters, of Mythom Bridge. Enlisted 17.5.1916. Embarked for France, 31.8.1916. Died of gunshot wounds to the head at 2/2nd London Casualty Clearing Station, 10.11.1916, aged 19 years. Buried GROVE TOWN CEMETERY, MEAULTE. Grave Location:- Plot 2, Row H, Grave 41.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
- Brother of Private JOSEPH BURGESS. who died of wounds at sea, 10.8.1915.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private BROOKES BURGESS
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Friday, November 10, 1916
- age: 19 years
- record ID: 30765
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #30765)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #606109)