Brewster Sessions of 1867

The Brewster Sessions were the "annual meetings of licensing justices to deal with the grant, renewal, and transfer of licences to sell intoxicating liquor".

The following report is based on newspaper coverage of the Brewster Sessions held on 22 August and 24 September 1867.

1867

The main session was held at the Court House in Huddersfield before magistrates George Armitage (chair), Thomas Brooke, J. Hirst, S.W. Haigh, Wright Mellor, J.T. Armitage, and J. Harpin.

The chairman began by remaking that the number of offences during the last 12 months was less than in previous years.

The following applications for new licences were submitted in advance of the session, although two were withdrawn on the day:

applicant abode or location premises granted?
William Crossley Newsome Y
David Lockwood Wakefield Road junction, Dalton Ivy Green N
Thomas Milnes Leymoor, Golcar Walkers' Arms N
Frederick Siswick Leymoor, Golcar Royal Albert Y
Joseph Sykes Paddock Foot, Huddersfield N
Joseph Ives Castlegate, Huddersfield Rising Sun N
Henry Harper Paddock Brow, Huddersfield Tam o' Shanter N
James Sykes Longroyd Bridge, Huddersfield Royal Union Y
Esther Ann Clegg Manchester Street, Huddersfield Shoulder of Mutton N
Adam Oddy Chancery Lane & Westgate, Huddersfield N
George Holmes Manchester Road, Huddersfield Richmond Inn N
George Ransley Buxton Road, Huddersfield Town Hall Inn N
George Richardson Aspley, Huddersfield Fly Boat Inn Y
George Burn Westgate & John William Street, Huddersfield Chamber of Commerce Dining Rooms Y
Giles Eastwood Colne Road, Huddersfield Bridge Inn N
Nathaniel Partridge Bradford Road, Huddersfield Viaduct Hotel N
Sarah Brook King Street, Huddersfield Marquis N
George Marshall John Street & Buxton Road, Huddersfield West Riding Hotel adjourned
Hannah Shaw Paddock Junction, Kirkbuton withdrawn
Joseph Garside Birchencliffe, Lindley Foresters' Arms Y
James Dyson Woodland House, Spring Mill, Linthwaite N
George Lockwood Edge Top, Linthwaite Alma Inn N
Elliott Johnson Milnsbridge Post Office Hotel N
George Kinder Bridge End, Lockwood Bridge Tavern N
Jeremiah Hellawell New Street, Lockwood withdrawn
Joseph Sykes Scammonden Upper Royal Y
Hannah Shaw New Mill, Wooldale Sun Inn Y

The Ivy Inn at Dalton was described as consisting of "six rooms on the ground floor; three above, and good stabling and shed". The applicant had kept the beerhouse for 15 years.

The Walkers' Arms in Golcar had been a beerhouse for 29 years and was situated between the Rose & Crown at Golcar and the New Inn at Longwood.

The Royal Albert, also in Golcar, was "situated on the road leading from Milnsbridge to Scammonden" and was the only beerhouse until the Royal George some three miles distant. It had been opened in October 1866 and was "furnished with considerable taste, and it was a model of neatness and cleanliness".

Joseph Sykes had kept his beerhouse for 18 years and it was situated "at the junction of five roads" at Paddock Foot.

The Tam o' Shanter had been a beerhouse for 37 years and the applicant had formerly been an employee of Lord Fitzwilliam.

The Royal Union had been a beerhouse for 17 years without complaint, and could be accessed from the canal towpath. It was described as consisting of "bar parlour, commodious kitchen, bar, taprooms, snug, [...] five cellars, and a like number of bedrooms".

Esther Ann Clegg was a widow and the location of the Shoulder of Mutton, at the junction of Manchester Street and Water Lane, was described as being "not a very delightful part of the town". The premises consisted of four ground-floor rooms, four bedrooms, and a sitting room. Clegg was the owner of the property and it had been run by her for 13 or 14 years.

It was reported that Adam Oddy and his father had occupied their premises "for nearly 100 years" but it was currently being refurbished. Once completed, it would have five or six bedrooms and its large cellar extended under the adjoining bank. The manager of the bank supported Oddy's application.

The Richmond Inn on Manchester Road was described as being situated directly opposite the Fountain Inn.

The Town Hall Inn on Buxton Road "was next to the Savings' Bank" but was next door to a licensed premises.

The Fly Boat Inn at Aspley had been a beerhouse for around 30 years, with the Richardson family running it for around 14 years. The application was supported by 14 local mill owners.

It was noted that Nathaniel Partridge had been a police officer[1] and that Sarah Brook was the former landlady of the Bath Hotel at Lockwood.

Joseph Sykes' application was supported by the "Incumbent of Deanhead Church and the churchwardens".

The Sun Inn at New Mill had been kept as a beerhouse for 30 years, with Hannah Shaw being the landlady for 18 years. Although the Duke of Leeds public house was nearby, it was noted that it had no water supply and horses requiring water were instead brought to her beerhouse.

At the adjourned session chaired by George Armitage, the licence of David Kaye (Shepherds Inn, Meltham) was withdrawn due his convictions during the previous year.

In the matter of the West Riding Hotel, the bench decided to refuse the application.


Sources

  • "Annual Brewster Sessions" in Huddersfield Chronicle (24/Aug/1867)
  • "Adjourned Brewster Sessions" in Huddersfield Chronicle (28/Sep/1867)

Notes and References

  1. He was recorded as being a "Detective Officer" in the 1861 Census.

Brewster Sessions of 1867

Categories

Brewster Sessions
This page was last modified on 17 December 2016 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed