The Brewster Sessions were the "annual meetings of licensing justices to deal with the grant, renewal, and transfer of licences to sell intoxicating liquor".
The following report is based on newspaper coverage of the 1852 sessions.
On the bench:
Joseph Armitage noted the increase in "unlawful retailing on the Sabbath day" and warned that "the magistrates were determined to exercise the fullest powers the law permitted in arresting this growing evil."
The previous year's application by Elizabeth Ainley to built a new property on top of Castle Hill was heard and her licence revoked. Despite her best efforts, she had been unable to find masons to carry out the work and it was felt "the great amount of work going on in Huddersfield and the neighbourhood" was to blame.
There were 28 applications for new licences of which 3 were granted. Excluding Ainley's application, the remaining 27 were:
|Joseph Hirst||Berry Brow||"near the railway station"||N|
|John Bray||Underbank, Cartworth||N|
|Jonathan Dawson||Skye Bottom, Fulstone||N|
|Jeremiah Lock||Crimble, Golcar||N|
|Joseph Johnson||Scar Head, Golcar||N|
|Thomas Taylor||Albert Court, Schofield Yard, New Street, Huddersfield||Y|
|William Burton||Marsh Bar Junction||Y|
|Samuel McMillan||Shore Head||N|
|Thomas Smith||Bradford Road||N|
|Mr. Oxley||West Parade, Huddersfield||Old Hat beerhouse||N|
|Joseph Ward||Manchester Road||N|
|James Townshend Wigney||Greenwood Yard, New Street||N|
|William Sheard||Colne Street, King's Mill||N|
|William Dodson||Engine Bridge||N|
|James Shaw||Quay Street, Huddersfield||N|
|Jarvis Holroyd||Bradford Road, Fartown||N|
|Elizabeth Sharp||Northumberland Street, Huddersfield||N|
|William Hepworth||Newtown, Huddersfield||N|
|William Rhodes||Lidget Lane, Lindley||"near the Mechanics' Institute"||N|
|William Boocock||Rashcliffe, Lockwood||"near Spring Gardens"||N|
|Joseph Crow||Junction, Crosland Moor, Lockwood||N|
|John Haigh||Outlane, Longwood||N|
|George Battye||Victoria, Hinchliffe Mill, Holmfirth||N|
|Jonathan Sandford||Burnlee, Upperthong||N|
|Joseph Marsden||Lane End, Wooldale, Holmfirth||N|
The application of John Kenworthy (Buckstones, near Scammonden) was refused after Superintendent Heaton reported on "the disorderly state in which [Kenworthy] kept his house."
The renewal of the licence of Messrs. Partridge and Rennison (Cloth Hall Street) was refused after objections from Mr. Smithies (landlord of the White Hart Inn on Cloth Hall Street) and Mr. Gaunt (landlord of the Queen Hotel on Market Street) who "contended that the license had been obtained fraudulently, and that the house was a perfect nuisance to the neighbourhood". To support their claims, a petition "signed by nearly all the respectable inhabitants of Cloth Hall Street" was handed over.
Mr. Alexander Glendinning presented a memorial on behalf of the Huddersfield Temperance Society noting that there was already 89 public houses and 93 beerhouses for the population of 30,000 (or 1 for every 165 persons), and that was "more than sufficient". Any increase, they warned, would result in "serious inconvenience and deplorable mischief."
At the adjourned sessions, spirit merchant Mr. Styring sought permission to have his licence renewed and extended to "make it applicable to another part of [his] premises". Initially the bench felt this amounted to have two licences for the price of one, but eventually agreed with condition attached.
The appeal of Elizabeth Ainley was heard and it was stated that a contract to erect the new building had been secured. However, the bench were split and decided not to give the application a second hearing. Subsequently, at the West Riding Quarter Sessions, sufficient evidence was presented that the decision was overturned.
The appeal by John Kenworthy (Buckstones) was "peremptorily refused."
An application by Francis Ford (Lockwood), presumably to allow gambling, was refused "on the ground of the evil influences resulting to boys, who were frequently induced to gamble".
During the following 12 months, the following transfers of licences were reported:
|09/Sep/1852||Waggon and Horses, Leeds Road||Ann Mallinson||George Mallinson (her son)|
|10/Oct/1852||Rising Sun, Lockwood||Thomas Mortimer||Charles Johnson|
|10/Oct/1852||Clothiers' Arms, Old Street||Thomas Balderson||Henry Schofield of Thurstonland|
|10/Oct/1852||Bath Hotel, Lockwood||Ellen Barker||John Crow (of the Shipwreck Inn)|
|10/Oct/1852||Shipwreck Inn, Lockwood||John Crow||Wiliam Copley of Almondbury|
|10/Oct/1852||Railway Hotel, Holmfirth||Matthew Lockwood||John Dyson|
|01/Jan/1853||Albion Hotel, Buxton Road||John Spurr||John Winter|
|01/Jan/1853||Commercial Inn, Moldgreen||Joseph Heald||his widow|
|01/Jan/1853||Rock Inn, Thurstonland||Elizabeth Hellawell||Ann Hellawell (her daughter)|
|05/May/1853||Globe Inn||Thomas Marshall||John Sutherland Tolson of Huddersfield|
|05/May/1853||Railway Inn||John Pass||George Woodhouse of Huddersfield|
|05/May/1853||Old Oak Tree||Henry Eastwood||John Beaumont of Huddersfield|
|05/May/1853||Clothiers' Arms||Henry Schofield||Harriett Wrathmell|
|05/May/1853||New Inn||George Dyson (deceased)||Elizabeth Dyson (his widow)|
|08/Aug/1853||Warren House, Linthwaite||John Armitage||Joseph Boocock of Huddersfield|
|08/Aug/1853||Albion Tavern, Huddersfield (Albion Hotel?)||John Winter||John Peace|
|08/Aug/1853||Rose and Crown, Huddersfield||George Read (the younger)||John Read|
|08/Aug/1853||Dog Inn, Kirkgate||John Brierley||Joseph Ibberson|
|08/Aug/1853||Duke of York Inn, Ramsden Street||Joseph Ibberson||Joseph Wright|
|08/Aug/1853||Black Lion Inn, Upperhead Row||Joseph Wright||John Dyson|
|08/Aug/1853||Clothiers' Arms, Kirkgate||Harriet Wrathmell (Wrathwell?)||George Partridge|