Bradshaw Reservoir, Bradshaw, Austonley

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: off Old Lane, Bradshaw, Austonley
  • status: uncertain
  • category: reservoir

Constructed by Holmfirth Urban District Council Water Works at some point between the 1893 and 1906 Ordnance Survey maps.

The construction of the reservoir was not with conflict and, in April 1909, local farm Herbert Haigh was found guilty of "polluting a watercourse adjacent to the District Council's reservoir at Bradshaw". Local magistrates were told that Haigh had dumped a sheep's carcass and human excrement into a well near the reservoir on purpose. Haigh was fined a total of £4 8s. 6d.[1]

During the drought of 1937, the "Bradshaw Reservoir, which supplies Holmbridge and Hinchliffe Mill, was empty and housewives were unable to obtain any water through the mains."[2]

Location

Notes and References

  1. "Endangering Holmfirth Water" in Leeds Mercury (04/Oct/1909).
  2. History of the Huddersfield Water Supplies (1939) by T.W. Woodhead, chapter 12.

Bradshaw Reservoir, Bradshaw, Austonley

Categories

Reservoirs | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 10 July 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed