Bradley Wood Sanatorium, Bradley
- location: Bradley
- status: no longer exists
- category: hospital, etc
- architect: Kenneth Findlater Campbell (Borough Engineer)
Completed 1917 as tuberculosis hospital but initially used as a war hospital. The entrance was from Bradley Road along a tree-lined avenue.
Jubilee History of the Corporation of Huddersfield: 1868 to 1918 (1918) by Owen Balmforth:
In 1917, the Corporation, through the Health Committee, completed the erection of a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. In this connection a site comprising 14 acres of land and standing some 400 feet above ordnance datum admirably sheltered by a belt of trees from North to North-east, was selected at Bradley Gate, and presented to the town by the late Mr. John Sykes, J.P., of Acre House, Lindley. Mr. Sykes, who took great interest in all matters appertaining to public health, erected at his own cost and on the advice of Dr. Gauvain, of Trelore Children's Hospital, Alton, Herts., a building for the exclusive treatment of children suffering from tuberculosis. It contains two large wards, four cubicles, day-room, operating theatre, X-ray room, plaster room, dispensary, laboratory, sisters' room, kitchen, with the necessary sanitary accommodation. This extensive building was erected from the designs of Colonel Cooper, F.R.I.B.A. To complete the hospital in accordance with the provisions of the Insurance Act, a handsome block of buildings for administrative purposes, as well as a pavilion for the treatment of adult patients of both sexes, has been erected by the Corporation. The administrative block, pavilion and laying out of the grounds were designed by the Borough Engineer (Mr. K. F. Campbell, M.Inst. C.E.) On the 2nd March, 1917, the buildings were opened by the Mayoress (Miss Jessop), and the Mayor (Mr. Alderman Jessop) handed over the buildings, free of all charges to the War Department, to Surgeon-General Bedford of the Northern Command, R.A.M.C., who accepted them on behalf of the War Office for use as a hospital for wounded soldiers.
County Borough of Huddersfield: Annual Report of the Medical Officer of Health for the Year 1944:
BRADLEY WOOD SANATORIUM.
In conformity with the practice of former years, wherever possible, only those cases in which there was reasonable hope of improvement were admitted to the Sanatorium.
Advanced cases requiring institutional treatment were admitted to the Mill Hill Isolation Hospital.
Admissions to the Sanatorium during the year numbered 80. These included 10 ex-service men and 2 ex-service women.
Deaths in the Sanatorium totalled 13.
County Borough of Huddersfield: Annual Report of the Medical Officer of Health for the Year 1945:
BRADLEY WOOD SANATORIUM (BEDS AVAILABLE 75). The beds in the sanatorium have, whenever possible, been reserved for the treatment of those cases only in which there were reasonable hopes of improvement. Advanced and chronic cases requiring institutional treatment were admitted to the Tuberculosis Wards at the Mill Hill Hospital. Admissions to the sanatorium numbered 62, a decrease of 18 compared with the previous year. Deaths in the sanatorium numbered 7, a decrease of 6 compared with last year.
County Borough of Huddersfield: Annual Report of the Medical Officer of Health for the Year 1946:
BRADLEY WOOD SANATORIUM (BEDS AVAILABLE 75). Cases admitted to the Sanatorium have been, where possible, those offering reasonable hope of improvement, and the Tuberculosis Wards at Mill Hill Hospital have been reserved for advanced and chronic cases requiring institutional treatment. Admissions to the Sanatorium numbered 63, an Increase of 1 compared with last year. Extensive alterations to the Sanatorium kitchen were commenced during the latter part of this year, and were still in progress at the year end. Modern and up-to-date equipment is to be installed.
The locations of the main buildings marked on the 1960 O.S. map are shown below: