According to Dr. George Redmonds, Dalton had an "independent township status as late as the thirteenth century" but then declined in importance after becoming a grange of Fountains Abbey. Bradley Grange was granted to John Pilkington in 1478 by the abbot of Fountains Abbey, Thomas Swynton.
Bradley Local Board was formed in February 1862.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
BRADLEY, a hamlet in Huddersfield township, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles NE by E of Huddersfield. It has a station on the railway, a church of 1861, and a large cotton factory.
The extent of the former hamlet is shown below:
The extent of the other hamlets in the Township of Huddersfield circa 1850 is shown below, along with the adjoining townships:
Notes and References
- Names and History: People, Places and Things (2004) by George Redmonds, pages 58-59.
- "Huddersfield" in West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to A.D. 1500 (1981) edited by M.L. Faull & S.A. Moorhouse.
- Or "Lower Bradley".
- Or "Upper Bradley".
- Based on the Yorkshire 246 O.S. map.