Botany Bay, Botany Lane, Lepton

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1892 [#46]
  • location on map: Botany Lane, Lepton
  • status: partially exists
  • category: terraced row
  • notes: long terraced row, now demolished in places

Discovering Old Huddersfield

Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:

The two rows of cottages standing on the left of Botany Lane were built in 1806 to house textile workers. They were named Botany Bay after the penal settlement set up in Australia in 1788. It was once quite a common practice to give names suggesting distance to such outlying settlements and Botany Bay, in 1806, was surely as far away as man could imagine. Botany Lane itself although much older than the cottages, must have been so named at the time they were built.

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 16 May 1984
  • listing entry number 1135388
BOTANY LANE. Lepton. Nos. 118 & 120. Terraced pair of houses, part of row. Late C18 or early C19. Hammer dressed stone. Quoins. Stone slate roof (part turned and part bitumen covered). Two storeys. Each dwelling has entrance to right and one 3-light window. To first floor each has one 4-light window. Rendered gable wall. One 2-light window to each dwelling at rear to first floor.

Location

Botany Bay, Botany Lane, Lepton

Categories

Buildings | Listed buildings and monuments | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 11 February 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed