Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The two rows of cottages standing on the left of Botany Lane were built in 1806 to house textile workers. They were named Botany Bay after the penal settlement set up in Australia in 1788. It was once quite a common practice to give names suggesting distance to such outlying settlements and Botany Bay, in 1806, was surely as far away as man could imagine. Botany Lane itself although much older than the cottages, must have been so named at the time they were built.
BOTANY LANE. Lepton. Nos. 118 & 120. Terraced pair of houses, part of row. Late C18 or early C19. Hammer dressed stone. Quoins. Stone slate roof (part turned and part bitumen covered). Two storeys. Each dwelling has entrance to right and one 3-light window. To first floor each has one 4-light window. Rendered gable wall. One 2-light window to each dwelling at rear to first floor.