Boot and Shoe Inn, Halifax Road, Prince Royd
GEOGRAPHIC STUBThis page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- location: 99 Halifax Road, Prince Royd, Birchencliffe
- status: still exists but now in difference use
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
The Boot and Shoe Inn beerhouse was in existence by 1865, when Joseph Clegg was the licensee.
The premises was acquired by Bentley and Shaw, Limited of Lockwood in the 1890s but later leased to John Ainley and Sons, Limited of Lindley Moor for a period of 10 years commencing on 18 January 1914.
According to the 1901 Census, the beerhouse was situated in the Prince Royd area of Halifax Road, somewhere between the East Street and Birchencliffe Road junctions.
The premises closed in 1924 after being referred to the Compensation Authority by the Brewster Sessions of 1922. It was seemingly then divided into two residential properties.
- 1891 — beer seller Joseph Clegg (aged 75)
- 1901 — pub innkeeper Thomas Chafer (43)
- 1911 — publican George Arthur Noble (24)
Landlords, Licensees & Publicans
Dates shown are those of licence transfers.
- Joseph Clegg — 1890s
- George Bates — 11 October 1893
- William Wood — 14 February 1894
- William Roebuck — 2 January 1895
- Ephraim Mallinson — 16 October 1895
- Thomas Chafer — 01 April 1896
- Samuel Hirst Oldfield — 10 February 1904
- Elliott Taylor — 6 April 1910
- George Arthur Noble — 16 November 1910
- Robert Habron — 11 May 1921
Notes and References
- ↑ Thank you to Tony Wilkinson for helping to track down the location of this beerhouse.
- ↑ "Beerhouse Offence" in Huddersfield Chronicle (16/Dec/1865).
- ↑ Also referred to at the same sessions were the Dusty Miller at Lockwood and the York Hotel on Northgate, Huddersfield.
- ↑ These are now 99 and 99A Halifax Road.