Boot and Shoe Inn, Bolster Moor, Golcar

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: Westwood Edge Road, Bolster Moor, Golcar
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

The Boot & Shoe reportedly opened circa 1831 and remained a beerhouse until its closure around the end of 1946 after being referred to the Compensation Authority for closure in May 1846.[1]

It seems likely the beerhouse was opened by shoe maker James Garside (born c.1806) whose wife Betty was the licensee by 1879. Their son Joseph was the licensee from 1883 to 1896.

The final licensee, Holden Whiteley, died on 15 December 1946.

Census Returns

  • 1891 — innkeeper & grocer Joseph Garside (aged 61)
  • 1901 — contractor (mason) & innkeeper David Garside (aged 36)

Landlords & Licensees

  • by 1857[2] — Betty Garside
  • 7 August 1883 — Joseph Garside
  • 15 September 1896 — David Garside
  • 17 December 1901 — David Ainley
  • 20 June 1905 — Emma Elizabeth [Ainley or Dyson?][3]
  • 7 December 1909 — George Herbert Livesey
  • 7 December 1926 — Ellen Livesey
  • 8 February 1927 — Herbert Dyson
  • 9 April 1931 — Joseph William Taylor
  • 7 June 1932 — Vincent Bailey Widdup
  • 6 December 1932 — Joseph William Taylor
  • 3 August 1937 — Lily Taylor
  • 3 May 1938 — Arthur Sykes
  • 6 February 1940 — Holden Whiteley

Location

Notes and References

  1. "Public Notices" in Bradford Observer (18/May/1946). The White Horse beerhouse at Kirkburton was referred at the same time.
  2. "Offending Publicans" in Huddersfield Chronicle (04/Apr/1857).
  3. "Ainley" is crossed out in the Alehouse Register and "Dyson" entered alongside in pencil. Possibly she was David's wife but then married a Dyson.