Bolster Moor Baptist Chapel, Bolster Moor

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Sunny Bank Baptist Chapel, Sunny Bank Particular Baptist Church
  • appears on maps: 1894 [#36]
  • location on map: junction of Bolster Moor Road & Slades Road, Bolster Moor
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: church or chapel

Founded when a group of thirty Baptists seceded from Pole Moor in 1882 "because they objected to the use of fermented wine at the Lord's Supper", the chapel was built in 1888. Members of Clough Head Baptist Chapel joined in 1968 after the closure of their place of worship.[1]

Bolster Moor Baptist Church closed in 2013.

Extracts

The Baptists of Yorkshire (1912) by Rev. C.E. Shipley:

The Sunny Bank Church, Golcar, is the outcome of a secession of thirty members from Pole Moor, owing to their objection to the use of fermented wine at the Lord’s Table. They first held services in a cottage at Hart’s Hill, in January, 1883, but in the following spring occupied a carpenter’s shop, using the adjoining cottage for school premises. On March 13th, 1889, they opened their new chapel, upon which they had spent £1200, and in a short time dealt successfully with the debt. The Church was, from 1889 to 1905, under the pastoral care of Rev. James Evans, but since his removal has been supplied by the lay preachers, to whom it acknowledges a great indebtedness.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::geograph 876556:::

Location

Notes and References

Bolster Moor Baptist Chapel, Bolster Moor

Categories

Baptist chapels and churches | Buildings | Churches and places of worship | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 12 August 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed