Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
This stands on the far hillside well to the left of the walled garden. Built at a time when follies were thought to enhance an estate, the Temple is a characteristically eighteenth century building and was probably used as a summerhouse. It stands some 750 feet above sea level and is a prominent landmark which may be seen from several parts of Huddersfield. Local legend connects the building with Sir Richard Beaumont who is reputed to have been dissolute and who is still known locally as Black Dick. It is said that the family fortunes were gambled away during Black Dick's lifetime. Today there is some doubt about this view of Sir Richard's character but there is no doubt at all that the Temple now so firmly associated with his name was built long after his death which occurred in 1631.
LILEY LANE. Grange Moor. The Temple in Whitley Park. Temple or belvedere (now ruined). Circa 1752-4. Attributed to James Paine. Ashlar, lined with coursed brickwork. Probable domed roof now gone. Octagonal structure within a square with set-back corners. Each side is pedimented with heavy moulded eaves cornice with blocking course. To three sides is a round arched window, and to the fourth side the doorway with shouldered architrave with chambranles, pulvinated frieze and cornice. Each opening is set in a round-arched recess. Moulded impost band. The interior is octagonal with the windows to four sides and a round-arched niche to each of the other four sides. Fragments of plasterwork still survive. The floor has fallen in. The lower level has a round-arched niche to four sides and a round-arched entrance.