Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The building on the right at the corner of Wheathouse Road and Birkby Hall Road once housed a brewery which was owned and worked in the early nineteenth century by a Thomas Wilson. In 1842 Wilson sold the brewery to Thomas F Macaulay great great grandson of Alexander McAulay (sic) who came to Huddersfield from Scotland at the beginning of the eighteenth century and whose name is perpetuated in Macaulay Street in the town. T.F.Macaulay owned land adjacent to the brewery and it seems likely that when Macaulay Road was laid out sometime between 1893 and 1905 it was so named in his memory. Macaulay died in 1874 and his obituary describes him as a brewer so it would seem possible that brewing went on here until that time. However, when his property was sold shortly after his death, it was described as the Birkby Old Brewery Estate and "old" in this context implies past rather than present use. By 1893 the property, still called Birkby Old Brewery, had been partitioned into separate houses and soon the old name was replaced by the rather uninspired "Ingle Nook".