This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- location: off Birkby Lane (now Birkby Lodge Road), Birkby
- listed in: Jubb's (1937)
- status: still exists
- category: private house
- notes: residence of Joseph Armitage, Esq. circa 1850s and of Sir Joseph Turner KBE (1937 directory)
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1313782
Mid C19. Ashlar. Hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Shallow 2-storey canted bay to left. 3 ranges of sashes. Door in porch with Tuscan pilasters up flight of steps with vase-shaped balusters and moulded handrail. One more range of sashes to right, set back slightly. This part was re-modelled internally by the Manchester architect Edgar Wood in 1901, and (apparently) again about 15 years later. Externally his work consists of an oblong projection on the east side, flat-roofed and unornamented: a row of 9 small oblong lights with lead glazing bars, 2 in each end elevation. Interior: The hall appears to be part of the 1901 redecoration. Simple oak wainscotting, with tapering pilasters. Round-arched doorway with exaggerated plaster keystone flanked by art nouveau ornament. Imposts carved with art nouveau rose ornament. Door has stained glass panels with figures (whose outline is cut by the frame), art nouveau foliage, and the legends "Farewell Goes" "Welcome Ever Smiles" and "Out Sighing" in art nouveau type.