Birk House, Crosland Moor Bottom
GEOGRAPHIC STUBThis page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1851 [#253], 1890 [#88], 1905 [#10]
- location: Birkhouse Lane, Crosland Moor Bottom
- status: still exists
- notes: shown on the early Town Plans as a private house with gardens
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
From "birki", old Norse, meaning place of the birch trees. Two such areas are found in our township, one on Woodhead Road, above Lockwood Parish Church, near the railway viaduct. The other, now known as Birkhouse, lies in the Colne Valley bottom between Longroyd Bridge and Moor Bottom.