This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific company or business. More detailed information may eventually be added. If you have any information relating to this company, please leave a comment or send an email
Bentley & Shaw Ltd. was a company which ran the former brewery at Lockwood.
The brewery was established by Timothy Bentley of Halifax in 1795 and made use of the Horse Bank Spring at Lockwood as its water supply.
Following Timothy Bentley's death in 1830, control passed to his son-in-law, William Shaw, and by 1841 to his grandsons, Bentley Shaw, Robert John Bentley and Henry Bentley.
In 1843, Bentley Shaw purchased the brewery for £8,000 at an auction of the assets of the late Timothy Bentley by his executors.
In May 1939, the Yorkshire Post gave the following description of the brewery, noting that it was capable of producing some 500 barrels a day:
On the banks of the River Holme, Lockwood Brewery has an almost sylvan setting, it nestles in the dell flanked by the Honley and Meltham roads, only a mile from Huddersfield. A miniature park, complete with cropped lawns, shady shrubberies, flower beds and an illuminated fountain fronts the premises, entry to which is gained from the road along a quarter-mile avenue of trees. The property covers some seventy acres, and the solidly-built home of Mr. Timothy Bentley now offers commodious office accommodation.
The company owned a sizeable number of public houses, inns and beerhouses in the area, including:
- Armitage Arms, Bridge Street, Milnsbridge
- Bath Hotel, Lockwood Road, Lockwood
- Bull's Head Inn, Beast Market, Huddersfield
- Butchers Arms, Meltham Road, Netherton
- Butchers Arms Inn, Waingate, Berry Brow
- Castle Hill Hotel, Almondbury
- Commercial Inn, Wakefield Road, Moldgreen
- Crescent Hotel, Northumberland Street, Huddersfield
- Crown and Cushion Hotel, Macaulay Street, Huddersfield
- Electricians Hotel, Manchester Road, Longroyd Bridge
- Engine Tavern, Bradford Road, Shearing Cross (beerhouse)
- Foresters Arms, Park Road West, Crosland Moor
- Golden Fleece, Woodhead Road, Berry Brow
- Grey Horse Inn, Chapel Hill
- Grove Inn, Woodhead Road, Berry Brow
- Ivy Hotel, Linthwaite
- Poets Corner Inn, Chapel Hill
- Old Hat Inn, West Parade, Huddersfield (rebuilt 1899 by Bentley & Shaw)
- Red Lion Inn, Lockwood Road, Lockwood
- Saddle Inn, Lindley
- Shepherds Arms, Cowcliffe
- Somerset Arms, Moldgreen (beerhouse)
- Spread Eagle Hotel, Granby Street, Huddersfield
- Star of the Day, Oldfield Road, Oldfield, Honley
- Swan With Two Necks, Westgate, Huddersfield
- Town Hall Inn, Lockwood
- Victoria Hotel, Meltham
- Woodman Inn, Primrose Hill
- Woolpack, Lockwood
- Woolpack Inn, Deighton
- Zetland Hotel, Ramsden Street, Huddersfield
Notes and References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Industrial Progress of Huddersfield: Traditions of Bentley and Shaw, Ltd." in Yorkshire Post (02/May/1939).
- ↑ "The Lockwood Brewery" in Leeds Mercury (03/Jun/1843).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 1880s Register of Licenses.