Bent House, Holmfirth Road, Meltham
- location: corner of Holmfirth Road and Tinker Lane, Meltham
- status: still exists
- category: private house
- notes: with gardens
Advertised for auction on 16 October 1928:
BENT HOUSE ESTATE.
The FREEHOLD RESIDENCE known as BENT HOUSE, MELTHAM, HUDDERSFIELD (within easy reach of Huddersfield), and FREEHOLD BUILDING LAND adjoining, with a frontage to Holmfirth Road and Calmlands Road.
LOT 1. BENT HOUSE.
An Attractive STONE-BUILT RESIDENCE, containing on the
Ground Floor: Vestibule, 8ft. by 8ft. ; Hall, 10ft. 9in. by 21ft. ; Drawing Room, 15ft. 6in. by 16ft. 9in. (excluding bay window) ; Dining Room, 15ft. 3in. by 16ft. 6in. (excluding bay window) ; Breakfast Room, 15ft. 3in. by 16ft. 3in. ; Billiard Room, 30ft. by 20ft., with recess ; Study or Workroom, 15ft. 3in. by 11ft. 3in. ; Store Room, Lavatory and W.C., Butler's Pantry, Kitchen, Cullery and Larder.
First Floor: 5 Bedrooms (2 of which are fitted with fixture washstand, h. and c.), 2 Dressing Rooms (one fitted with bath and washstand), Bathroom, W.C., Store Room, Housemaid's Pantry.
Second Floor: 4 Bedrooms.
Basement: Keeping and Wine Cellars.
Outbuilding, Washhouse with drying room, Potting Shed, Coke House, Garage for two cards, Workshop, Covered Wash Yard with pit, 3-stalled Stable and loose box, Harness Room and Coach House.
The grounds are well matured, with Tennis Lawn, Miniature Lake, Two Summer Houses, and Kitchen Garden in paddock adjoining.
THREE FREEHOLD PADDOCKS, together with the site of the House and grounds, contain an area of 7 acres, 1 rood, 20 perches, or thereabouts.
The Leasehold Paddock has an area of 3,975 square yards, and is held on a lease for 999 years at an annual rent of £20, 380 square yards of which is sub-leased for 999 years at £4 15s. per annum.
VACANT POSSESSION of Resident and Grounds.
Census Returns and Directories
- 1822 Baines — Thomas Shaw
- 1841 Census — land owner Uriah Tinker (aged 60) with wife Elizabeth (60) and two sons, Ebenezer and Uriah
- 1851 Census — solicitor, farmer of 70 acres, and heathland coal mine owner Uriah Tinker (aged 40) with his wife Mary (29) and two sons
- 1861 Census — master cotton spinner Edward Brook (35), and his sisters land owners Mary (36) and Elizabeth A. (31)
- 1881 Census — woollen manufacturer William Wrigley (37) with his wife Mary Ellen (36) and four children
- 1891 Census — J.P. and woollen manufacturer William Wrigley (47) with his wife Mary Ellen (46) and two daughters
- 1901 Census — J.P. and woollen manufacturer William Wrigley (57) with his wife Mary Ellen (56) and two children
- 1911 Census — J.P. and woollen cloth manufacturer William Wrigley (67) with his wife Mary Ellen (66)
Notes and References
- Yorkshire Post (06/Oct/1928).