Ben Stocks (1838-1911)
Ben Stocks was an architect, local councillor and alderman.
He was born on 12 March 1838, the son of contractor and builder John Stocks.
His brother, John Ainley Stocks, was a mason and architect.
He married Jane Roebuck, daughter of manufacturer Robert Roebuck, on 18 November 1867 at St. Mary's Church, Honley. The couple had four known children:
- Edith Eliza Stocks (1870-1955)
- Herbert Stocks (1871-?)
- Lucy Stocks (c.1875-?)
- Jessie Stocks (1879-?)
He was initiated into the Huddersfield White Hart Lodge of Freemasons (No. 290) on 8 March 1871.
Ben Stocks died on 27 February 1911. His estate was valued at £11,082 13s. 11d.
Selection of Local Works
- Liberal Club, Market Street, Paddock Foot (1874)
- Digley Mills, Austonley (circa 1875)
- Masonic Hall, Slaithwaite (opened 1880)
- completion of Huddersfield Town Hall following the death of architect John Henry Abbey in 1880
- New North Road Baptist Church Sunday School (1881)
- Sunday School for Dogley Lane Independent Chapel (1882)
- Burlington House, Park Drive, Huddersfield
- Outlane Board School (1886-87)
- Primitive Methodist Church Schools, on corner of Northumberland Street and Lord Street (1888-90)
Notes and References
- Christopher Marsden's "Huddersfield Architects".
- Born 2 April 1870 and baptised 2 October 1870. Died 5 February 1955
- Born 3 December 1871 and baptised 17 February 1872.
- Designed for free.
- British architect (09/Jul/1880)
- Corner and memorial stones laid 5 August 1882.
- Source: "John Edward Shaw (1849-1916): Huddersfield Methodist New Connexion Photographer and Freemason" by Brian Haigh.