Benjamin Roebuck (1878-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ROEBUCK, BEN. Private. No 5178. 16th Battalion Australian Imperial Force. Born Wood Nook, Honley, Huddersfield. Son of Joseph Hirst Roebuck and Rachel Roebuck, Cliffe View, Thongsbridge. Educated St. Mary's Church of England School, Wilshaw. Attended Netherthong Parish Church. Was a member of the Working Men's Club. Employed as a teamer by Mr Joseph Batley. Emigrated to Australia in 1910. Worked on his farm and orchard. Killed in action at Mouquet Farm during the Battle of the Somme on 12.8.1916, aged 37 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Netherthong and Thongsbridge War Memorial; Netherthong Working Men's Club; commemorated on his parents' headstone in All Saints Churchyard, Netherthong.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private BENJAMIN ROEBUCK
- regiment: Australian Infantry
- died: Saturday, August 12, 1916
- age: 37 years
- record ID: 1454936
- History of Netherthong: Netherthong and its WW1 heroes
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1454936)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #7568964)