Ben Clegg (c.1893-1918)
Courtesy of David Simmons:
- Company Serjeant Major, 9th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment. Regimental No 12658. Born in Emley. Died 22 March 1918 in France aged 25 years. Son of Sam and Edith Clegg, Church Street, Emley. Employed as a Coal Trammer in a local mine. Enlisted at Huddersfield. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, Bay 6.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CLEGG, BEN. Company Sergeant Major. No. 12658. 9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Emley. Son of Mrs Sam Clegg, Church Street, Emley. Employed at Emley Moor Collieries. A keen footballer. Enlisted 1.9.1914. Embarked for France July, 1915. Killed in action, 22.3.1918. aged 25 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Emley War Memorial.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #744779)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #852576)
Notes and References
- Twitter: @ProjectDCS.